69 Disk - Longer Studs - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 04, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'm making a lot of progress on the Camaro. Just about to start it and move it 10' or so. There is still a lot of work to do.

I was mounting up a set of aluminum rims (thanks choptop [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] ) and realized I need longer studs. The stock studs are 3/4" and I need 1 or 1 1/4" studs. My local good ol' fashioned auto parts store, couldn't come up with an exact cross.

I may be off on my figures here as I try to make my point. The bore that the stud fits into seems to be different for each make and model. Mine are 0.564 knurl. The only replacement we could find was exact - 3/4". The 1" long studs have different knurls like -0.576.

Does anyone know where I can get a plug and play replacement? It's beginning to look like I'll have to have my disks reamed for the longer studs. 0.564 to 0.576 is a 0.012" interferance. I'm afraid it won't go.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 04, 07:45 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Are you sure you need longer studs? Maybe you need deeper lug nuts? Some mag wheels have special nuts required. Just a thought.

-Mark.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 04, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I think the lug nuts are correct. They are pretty much standard nuts with a hardened face that meets against the countersunk mating surface of the wheel. The openings aren't large enough for the nuts with long shank that protrudes inside the wheel openings. 1" studs would solve all my problems.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 04, 06:02 PM

I have had good luck at NAPA. They have a catalog with various size studs (length, diameter and knurl diameter). I have used NAPA studs with a slightly larger knurl diamater than factory with no problem pulling them into the wheel hub. A 576 knurl should work in place of a 564 knurl....it did for me. From talking to various machinists it is not a good idea to try and drill out your hub stud holes for a larger knurl diameter as it is hard to keep the drill bit centered. Some people have drilled a new set of stud holes offset evenly from the existing set. Lube your 576 knurl stud with WD-40 and pull it through the hub with an good condition stud nut bearing on some good condition flat washers...Scott
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 04, 01:20 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I see. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Try a truck repair shop if all else fails.

-Mark.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 04, 10:17 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

Moroso lists studs that are 3" long for NHRA racers. You can get them from most speed shops. It's easier to shorten than lengthen.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 04, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the encouraging news ssfrebo. I figure if worse comes to worse, I can remove the front disks and press them in (or out). I think you have convinced me.

Dave
========================
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode