Mid 80's IROC on 1st gen - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 04, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

OK i've searched all former posts Has anyone made 16x8 mid 80's iroc wheel fit. I have a rear one mounted on my 68 backspacing is 5 1/8 but it doesnt have a tire mounted on it and it does clear the shock but it looks like once a tire is on the tire wont anyone?? i also have a 91 16x8 RS camaro wheel and NO way that will fit.

"Lets Ride"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 04, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

Angry

Another member's page....

link

Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'51 Chevy 3/4ton
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 04, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

Gorgeous Sharp ride Bret. I love the way that looks. the color is almost the same as mine also. Ok your specs say those are 17" are those the aftermarket iroc type? I wanted to know if anyone used the 16x8 front and rears with the 5 1/8 BS ?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 04, 02:38 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

Talking

Pauly,
Sorry that's someone else's car I found here. I didn't notice that his specs listed them as 17".

Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe

'51 Chevy 3/4ton
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 04, 04:32 AM

I have 86 IROC 16x8 wheels on my '67. The backspacing is different front to rear. I've found that running the rears on the front, and vice versa, works well. I have no tire rub in the front. I have done the Guldstrand upper control arm relocation, which can help avoid tire scrub in the front. Since the suspension gains negative camber with compression, it will pull the tire in. I run 245 50's in the front.
My rear tires will rub the inner fender in some sharply angled driveways if I come in at an angle. Especially on the drivers side. I run 255 50's in the rear. But in hard driving on real roads, tire scrub isn't an issue. I have aluminum drums in the rear, which space them out about 3/16 more than iron ones.
Rather than try and find lug nuts for the wheels and 7/16 studs, I converted over to 1/2 inch studs, and used some Chevy truck lug nuts that had the same taper.

I'd rather have some 17" Torq Thrust 2's, but these wheels have worked well for me, especially for the money.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 04, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

Hmmmmmm..... Thanks for the info Repo dude
food for thought

"Lets Ride"

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 04, 12:02 PM
Senior Tech

you don't need special lug nuts for IROC wheels- just get good aftermarket chrome "acorn" lugs, and you are good to go.
the IROCS do fit- i've seen several older Camaros with them and had a set on my Nova. in my case at least, they do tend to stick in too much on the front, and out to much on the rears. i don't see how you could switch them front to rear- the wheele bearing dust cover on the front will poke out thru the center of a rear IROC wheel. with 225/60's on the front, it would rub on the subframe at the rear at full lock, and 235/60 on the rear will BARELY clear the outer wheel well on my nova- but a Camaro might be different. i got a set of late 80's Trans AM GTA wheels, and they fit perfect. everything is centered with the same clearance on the inside and outside of all the rims, and 255/50/16 tires fit perfect. plus, i think they look better.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 04, 01:27 PM

The difference in the backspacing of the wheels is about 1/2 an inch. I assure you, the wheels fit the front of my Camaro just fine.

Whatever lug nuts you buy, make sure the taper is correct. McGard list these for the stock 82-92 Camaro,

They have the same style for 7/16 as well.

I was never happy with 7/16 studs, so I viewed it as a good opportunity to fix that.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 04, 08:46 PM

i had some 82(?) formula wheels on my 68 bird for a while. they were the 16x8 with the different front and rear. they were probably close to the same specs as the irocs.
anyway, here's my $.000002

i couldn't run the rears on the front without spacers because the rim was too close to the tie-rod.
so...
i had the fronts on the front with 225/50 tires, very lowered. i had 255/50 on the back, and cut out some drum centers as spacers to keep the tires from rubbing around bumps and corners. i guess that's about a 1/8" spacer.

i used chrome capped 3/4 acorns with a flare, similar to the original 80s plastic screw on types, but without the plastic screw-on. similar to the ones on this link: http://zvalve.com/images/nuts_lm019.gif
i used them because i saw alot of cars with the 13/16" chromies where the corners dug into the aluminum of the wheel, and these looked close to the ones which came with the wheel. i think i ordered them at carquest.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 04, 07:29 AM

I'm curious, did you have disc or drum front brakes? The tie rod is very close to the rim with mine, but it clears. I had converted to disc brakes a few years earlier, and I noticed at the time that the rotors spaced the front wheels out about 1/4 of an inch (the 225 60 15's I had rubbed the inner fender when the suspension bottomed out after the conversion).

16x8 wheels were introduced with the first IROC Camaro in 1985, so they would have had to have been '85 or later.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 04, 09:52 AM
Senior Tech

i got 3 summers on regular 7/16" Acorn lugnuts with the IROCs on my Nova- and now have those lug nuts on the GTA wheels. i didn't feel the need to spend extra $$$ on the "correct" IROC taper, and never had any problems. just get the true acorn style where the socket can't hit the rim, and you won't have any problems with gouging the wheel. just check them every once in a while to make sure they are tight- just like with any other aluminum wheel.

[ 02-08-2004, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: novaderrik ]

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 04, 01:52 PM

Using correct lugnuts for the wheels isn't a matter of taste. It is a matter of safety.
The wrong taper will have much less surface area against the wheel, making it prone to digging into the aluminum and loosening up. Try passing a tech inspection at a track with that kind of setup.
My days of slamming stuff together and thinking, "oh hell, it'll be allright!" are long behind me.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 04, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech

actually, before i ever put the wheels on, i checked to make sure there was full contact all thru the taper- there was. i did it by holding the lug nut up to the wheel while it was off the car and making sure there was conact all around the base of the nut, and looking thru the back face of the wheels and making sure there was contact there- and there was. i did this 10 years ago when i got my first set of IROCS, as well as the GTA wheels i got last fall. full contact every time. 3 different sets of wheels- 12 wheels in all- and they all had full contact. never had a wheel come close to falling off- but i have had to re-check the lugs a couple times after installing the wheels, but that's been normal for every aluminum wheel i've had on anything from the stock wheels on my 94 4 door Lumina Euro 3.4 to the GTA wheels i currently have on the Nova.
so i feel safe saying to use the generic Acorn lugs- they are easier to find, and as such, are probably cheaper. just check the lugs every once in a while- which is good advice for any car- whether it has steel or aluminum wheels with stock or aftermarket lugs.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 04, 08:21 AM

I ran those on my 67 Camaro back in the 80's.. was ahead of my time i guess [img]smile.gif[/img]

they looked sweet though.. 16" with gatorbacks:

I had to run the backs in the front and the fronts in the back.. fit was very nice as i remember..
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 04, 05:00 PM

Boy, I wish my 67 looked that nice. Have to keep buying lotto tickets I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode