Highest and Widest Wheel - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 04, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

I want to buy 18" wheels for my 67 camaro. I went to yearone's website and looked up the size they put on their 69 camaro. It turns out they put on 18 X 10 in the back and 18 X 8 in the front. I know the 69 camaro is a little widder in the back than the 67 camaro. Would these size wheels fit the 67 camaro? If so, what would be the back sizing? Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 04, 04:17 AM

A 9.5 inch wide wheel is the widest you can go an a 67 without minitubbing. I think the backspacing is 5.5 on the rear. A search will get all sorts of info on wheel sizing.
brian
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 04, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the help baz67. however, do you know if you could bigger wheels than 18"?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 04, 04:00 PM

Unhappy

IMHO, don't think you want to do that b/c a whole bunch of people have chimed in here in the past AND said they thought our cars just flat didn't look right with wheels bigger then about 18"er's or so...

And at 18" the sidewalls get so short that rim longevity comes into play b/c of potholes dinging h-ll outta them!!

But to each his own..

pdq67

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 04, 04:10 PM

Smile

Back again...

BUT if you want to run max. height rubber, here is how you do it!!

Run a stock width and backspace rim but say in a 16" or a 17" and then look in the truck and SUV tire section and come up with a skinny tire that is about 29 to 29.5" tall!!

IT should center and fit, but you will probably have to raise the backend using coil-overs b/c there isn't enough room up top if you add any weight at all!! BUT you should be able to stick a finger in the space between the front AND rear of the tire and the sheetmetal!!

Been there done that when I mounted my old Firestone 500 Town&Country Mud& Snow tires on my car years and years ago, (using my stock 14 x 6 steel painted rims), that were right at this height!! AND I raised my rearend up like about 4" to get them to fit, plus my speedometer was off about 12 mph at 70!! Topped out at 145mph one night for about an 18 mile high-speed run when I was late for my car-pool to Iowa on the RR.... That got me in more trouble then I care to remember b/c I went through a Tripod radar trap, but changed cars for the week so they didn't get me...

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode