Bias Ply vs. Radials - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 04, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am restoring my 69Z and I was considering installing the correct tire for that year which is an aftermarket Firestone/Goodyear e/70-15. My question is what are the pros and cons of the old tires? Are they strictly for show or are they acceptable for easy cruising and such.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 04, 09:42 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Bias ply tires tend to "pull" a little due to road irregularities. Radials give a better ride and all around handling. You might get lucky and find a set of original "look-a-likes" but are radials. I would only do the radials if not a stock show car.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 04, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Does anybody know where to purchase a radial tire that looks like the original stock bias ply tire?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 04, 12:10 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

I found this on Yenko.net It looks like interesting reading for 69 Camaro owners.

Some folks, like Charley, know this but (judging by the great number of 69 Camaros and Chevelles with Polyglas), many don't.

Fiberglass belted WHITE LETTERED tires were not an option for Camaros or Chevelles in 1969. There is only one tire currently reproduced that is correct for these 69s in RWL and that is the Goodyear Wide Tread. The Firestone Wide O Oval being reproduced is the 1970 fiberglass belted version and is incorrect on 69 Camaros and Chevelles. The 1969 smaller lettered Firestone is not FG belted.

Belted vs. non-belted was confusing even in 1969 as the Goodyear Polyglass Custom Wide Tread IS technically a wide tread, but the correct tire is white lettered "Wide Tread" only (no "Polyglas" in white letters). I have numerous contemporary 69 road tests that clearly show a Camaro or Chevelle with non-belted Wide Treads and the caption or text refers to them as Polyglas - an obvious error.

Note that fiberglass belted tires WERE available in 69 for the Camaros and Chevelles in red or white stripe (unbelted too).

So many nice, otherwise correct cars have the wrong tires on them. A case, I believe, of relying on other restored cars as a model and not doing the research. It has snowballed..............

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 04, 09:42 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Take a look in Street Rodder or any of the magazines out there for the "older" cars... seen ad's but can't recall company name.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 04, 04:08 PM

Question

Coker comes to mind but I don't know if they repopped the old tires in both bias and radial or just bias??

pdq67

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 04, 07:32 AM
Senior Tech
Mike H

Coker has them,
try

http://cokertire.com/

My '69:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 04, 05:45 PM
Senior Tech

diamond back has them--dbtires.com
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 04, 07:16 AM
Senior Tech

There are actually two types of 'bias' tire constructions. Bias/ply that was used from the 60's and earlier and bias/belted that was used from the 60's until radials (that are always belted) took over.

1970 original owner, F41
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 04, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Hi, I purchased a set of CORRECT Bias Ply Repo Goodyear Speedway E-70-15 Wide Treads from Kelsey Tire. I personally would not drive on them, they are kinda scary the way they wander at slow speed.
I mounted them on my original YH wheels, and only use them for display purposes. I drove the car home from the shop and that was enough to convince me that newer tire technology was the way to go!
I Have another set of driver tires ( Goodyear Eagle GT ) on another set of YH wheels for cruising. Hope This Helps.

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 04, 03:39 PM

Smile

You mean ta say you drive at low speed????

Just kick it up a notch AND I bet that wandering will just feel right a home since that was the way our cars were way back then!!

pdq67

PS., there was an old steel decked bridge across the Missouri River at Booneville that would make your car seem like it moved 6" each way b/c of the way the steel treads were placed!! You talk about scary trying ta get across the bridge in a hurry AND all of a sudden an 18 wheeler comes on the deck before you make it across... NOT funny at all!! Glad the old bridge is gone!!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 04, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

pdq67, Higher speeds are not too bad, they still wander a lot, i just dont feel comfortable enough to risk crashing my original 42,000 mile Z28, plus i do not want to wear them out. I have had this car since 73, and believe me i drove it fast back in the 70,s. LOL. It had the original tires on it and it never darted like these repo,s, until they were 25+ years old, and very hard and cracked.

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode