45 series or 40 series? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 04, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Question

I'm gonna order my tires tomorrow and dont know which series to go wit, I'm going to get BF Goodrich Radial TA KDW's in 234 x 17 in front and 255 x 17s in the rear but I'm not sure which aspect raio I need to run? Can I squeze a 245 x 17 up front I'm running a full Hotchkis suspension 2" lower up front and 11/2" lower rear
Thanks,
Mike

69 RS/SS vert tourer, LS7, T56, Baer, Hydrooost, GW, etc, etc,
Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 04, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech

According to Chevy HP
69 camaro -
MAX Stock Wheel Wells:

Front: 17 inch wheel, 5.00 backspace, 8.5in width, 245/40 tire
Rear : 17 inch wheel, 5.50 backspace, 9.5in width, 275/40 tire

But obviously you need to be very specific with the backspacing and rim width to fit those, and then it could still rub a bit.

With that said, the consensus on this board has been that most people run 235/45/17 up front and 255/45/17 in the rear. So I think thats the best route for you to play it safe.

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 04, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Thanks my TT 2's are 17x8 with a 5" BS and my 17x9.5 with a 5.5 BS. The reason I'm asking is BF Goodrich has the new tread in a 235x17x40 and 255x17x40 rear, it looks kinda cool and its different.
Thanks,
Mike

69 RS/SS vert tourer, LS7, T56, Baer, Hydrooost, GW, etc, etc,
Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 04, 04:26 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
If you do the math the 245/45/17 and 275/40/17 will come out with almost exactly the same sidewall height. Tire Rack says both are 25.7" tall. I know you're not going with 275's though but I believe that to be the widest recomended combo.

245/45/17 and 255/45/17 are the next closest match I can find the rear is 26" tall and the front is 25.7" tall. If you go to a 255/40/17 it's 25" tall. Too short for me. The 245/45's should fit if your subfram bushings and front end are in good shape and the alignment is done right. Oh, you might want to replace the inner fender bolts with smooth alan head bolts too. If you put the short alum bushings in you may have clearence problems...

I am running 235/45 and 255/45 with no problems at all, 25.5" and 26" tall. I run a few extra psi in the fronts and you really don't notice the 1/2"

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode