Tire wear question - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 04, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I noticed the other day that the right front tire on my '69 is getting just a bit 'feathered' on the outer edge, about 1 inch of the tread. It is hard to notice by sight but you can feel it. I talked to the mechanic today that did my alignment after I installed all the new steering components a year ago and he told me to just switch the front tires. Does this sound right? My car doesn't pull to any direction but if you turn loose of the steering wheel in a long straight stretch it will eventually drift to the right. I am running BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 04, 01:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Lightbulb

You gotta remember, a lot of roads are crowned so that the rainwater runs off to the right, so there is a slight grade. That may be OK.

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 04, 11:03 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Do the sharp edges point towards the inside of the car or outside? is the other tire doing it?
I'm an old alignment guy and if both are it sounds like the toe is off if its just one tire i'd be looking at a bad tire which beleive it or not happens more often than most folks think

"Lets Ride"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 04, 04:07 PM
Tech Team

Also, if they're radials, I wouldn't switch them left to right. It changes the direction of rotation and could cause the belts to fail. I would switch front to rear. On the rear, they will wear the "feather" down. But, you must find out what is causing it. I agree with Pauly.

Viva La France...She's always there when she needs you
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 04, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Pauly, they point to the outside and the other side is not doing it. It is just on the right side very outer edge of the tread. It is hard to see but you can feel it. Actually, that is how I noticed it by rubbing my hands across the tread.

Headhunter, I also thought that was wrong to switch a radial from side to side. I learned that if you change the direction of rotation on a radial that would cause cord seperation. I find it hard to believe this mechanic that did my alignment told me this because they are also a tire shop.

Switching the front to back is not an option as the back tires are a different size. Back tires are P235/60R 15 98S M+S. Front tires are P215/65R 15 95S M+S. What does the 98S and 95S and the M+S stand for on these tires?

I drove the car today and tried to notice anything with the driving and could not tell anything. It drives very straight and will hold it where you point it. Thanks for all the tips guys!!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 04, 11:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I wouldn't think your toe adjustment is off if the wear pattern is only on the outside. Incorrect toe adjustment generally affects the entire tread surface (feathered edges). My first guess would be that your camber is off on the effected wheel. You say the outside is wearing, so that would lead me to believe you have too much positive camber on that wheel. Factory specs should be Pos. 1/4 degree +/- 1/2 degree. The alignment shop should have given you a print out or result sheet when they did the alignment. Double check your camber. Hope this helps.

1968 Camaro Coupe: Forged 383, AFR heads, Edelbrock Air-Gap intake, Holley 750 dp, Dynatech headers (557 HP/543 TQ), TKO-600, 12 Bolt 3.73, Vintage Air.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode