Will 16x8, 5.0 b.s. work all around on a 68? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 04, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I wanted to order some 16x8 Centerlines, but can only get the ones I want in a 5" BS. I currently have stock suspension, but plan on moving to the Hotchkis setup on front and rear. I'm not picky on tire sizes, but I want to make sure I won't have clearance issues on either the front or rear before I order. I know 4.5 is the standard, but will 5.0 work okay too?

BTW, I've searched and searched, but there are only so many posts I can read! [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] Thanks for the help!!

"Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected." - Red Buttons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 04, 09:44 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Hey Guys,
Can anyone help with this answer? I don't think the rear is a problem but what about the front?
I will be running 16x8 5" BS with 255/55/16 on the front.

Thanks!
Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 04, 11:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I'm running 16" x 8" wheels with 4.625" back spacing and 245-45's on my '68 which is lowered 2". I'm not 'positive', but pretty sure that with 255's and .4" more backspacing I would be on the rear quarters and probably rubbing the front fender lips! Might not hit in a straight line, but I don't know about turns in full bump!! I'll make some measurements tonight.

Paul D.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 04, 07:14 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

I have 16" x 8" x 4.5"bs Vintage Wheel Works rims. If I had a choice I would opt for a 5" backspace.

With a 245/50 tire on the front they would rub on the frame at full lock. It might be necessary to limit the turn radius a bit. With a 225 or narrower tire it may not be a problem.

The nice thing about the 5" bs is that more castor can be added. With mine 4* is the max before the outside of the tire starts to rub on the lower-bottom-outside of the wheelwell. A 5" bs would allow a bit more castor.

On the rear it will rub when the suspension is highly articulated, such as going up a driveway sideways, with a 255/50 tire. A 245 will allow a bit more freedom.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 04:03 AM

I have 225/50's(4 1/2 b.s) on the front and they dont hit at all, I do know the 235/50's did rub just a spec on the frame when turned all the way so I would have to let up and not turn so hard..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 05, 09:26 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Re: Will 16x8, 5.0 b.s. work all around on a 68?

I know this is an old post but I was hopping to get some feed back. I would like to run 16x8 on all fours and 255/50r16 in the front. I have no wheel wells and the front is dropped 1” with GW upper and lower tube a-arms. I was panning on getting 4.5” BS but after readying this post I need to ask, will a 5: BS help or should I stay with 4.5”BS? Right now I am running 15x8 and 235/60R15 and not even close to the frame!

1968 Camaro.....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 05, 11:58 AM
Senior Tech

what is the backspacing on your rims you have now?
you should just be able to look down thru where you inner fenders should be and see how much more clearance you have to fit more BS
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 05, 10:43 AM
Senior Tech

I also have a set of 16x8 Vintage Wheel Works front and rear. 245/50-16 all around and the front tires rub like crazy because I dropped the car 2" up front. Wish I would have went 225/50 up front now looking back. 500 miles and my front tires are trash already.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 06, 10:09 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Sorry, I have been off line for a wile due to work. I will pull the wheel and check it to night. I think it has a 5” bs but I need to verify. I have also been reading posts about 17x8 and looking at tires becasue the 16 are getting a little low in choices. I would like to stay with the 16x8 but it would be nice to know it the tire size I go with now will still be around when I need to replace the rubber in the furture.

1968 Camaro.....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 04:53 PM
Senior Tech
Mike Petrovich

fish763: Were you running 15x8 235/60R15 all around? I have all drum brakes and am not sure what bs I should use for same size you mentioned or 15x7 235/60R15 (on all 4 wheels). Thanks.

1968 327 sport coupe. Son of original owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode