17x9 SLP frt/rear on a '69 - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 04, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Do you guys think the 10 spoke SLPs can work on a low (Hotchkis frt and rear springs and low enough that the tops of the tires are above the wheel openings)'69 all the way around? They have 7" of backspace so I was thinking 1.75" adapters frt and rear. That would make 5.25" of backspace. In the front a 235/45 and the rear a 255/45 tire. I think the rear is fine but can the front work? I know the wheel starts to get close to the tie rod and the frame but can the smaller (235 compared to the 245 make up the difference? I would be OK with the tire "touching" over certain conditions but not rubbing and leaving marks on the tires and fenderwells. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 04, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Smile

Come on guys I was hoping for a little input here. I know everybody is sick of the what fits/what hits questions. I know that there were at least 2 people here running this type of set up. I also know that there are people here using this type of backspace with bigger tires and they have rubbing issues. I'm aware I can play it safe and run an 8" wheel with a 4.75 or 5.0 backspace with a 235 or 245 tire and it will work. With that said can some one tell me if this should work - can be made to work with a different tire size or backspace - or there is no way forget it buy a set of billet wheels and move on. Thanks again - someone please advise me.

Jack
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 04, 04:06 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Hi Jack, the only guys I know running larger than 8" with 7" back spacing up front are running about 2" addapters and have removed their inner fenders...

I think the lack of response is do to the fact that it's very common knowledge what fits our 1st gens without modification. Once you decide to go beyond the bolt on sizing you become the fabricator and everything becomes so critical to making something fit there is no canned answer. I tried 245/45/17's on 17x8's as I know they fit other 69's with hotchkis drop springs... They hit the top of the fender lip!! So I ended up using 235/45's. Then I replaced my body mounts and can see why the 245's didn't fit...

Every component of your front end can effect what fits so if you are going extreme you need to start making templets and measuring. Once you know how much room you have you can decide what will fit...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 04, 06:19 AM

I have the following on my '69: 17x9" 5-spoke ZR1 style wheels with the same offset as what you are looking at. I use a 2" adapter on the front and 2 1/4" on the back. Tires are 255/40 front and 275/40 rear. The car is lowered so the top of the tire is right at the top of the fender. I had rubbing on the sway bar at full lock, so I drilled and tapped the stop on the lower arm and put in a bolt to limit the travel a little. I also ground the bolts down that attach the inner fender to the outer fender at the rear of the fenderwell. Every car is going to be a little different and I did extensive measuring. Also, each tire brand may have slightly different section widths. Under extreme cornering I hear a little rubbin, but it has not caused any damage to the tire after 2 years.

Gary

Gary M.<br />'69 Camaro<br />Red Pro-touring<br />383 ci 440 hp
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 04, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Thanks - Dennis as always you are the voice of reason. Gary if you don't mind I'll ask you a couple of questions. What brand tire are you using and do you think a narrower - shorter - or both - size tire (maybe a 235/40) would elimate the rubbing? Gary any pictures? Thanks again guys.

Jack
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 04, 01:59 AM

Tires are Firestone SZ50. A friend had the same wheels with 255/45/17 tires, so I borrowed them to make my measurements. I found that the 255/45 was slightly too large and rubbed the rear of the front inner fender when turning. I then ordered the 255/40 to get a slightly shorter tire.
I dont't have pictures posted on any site. I might email one if needed.

Gary

Gary M.<br />'69 Camaro<br />Red Pro-touring<br />383 ci 440 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode