rear wheel fiment 69 ss - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 04, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

I have 15x8 rally's on my 69 ss which rub badly. The tires are 275/60/r15. Any suggestions on backspacing and where to get the proper size wheels. I know there are 15x8's that fit. I had them on another '69 years ago.
P.S. -- I'm running air shocks pumped all the way up just to be able to drive this thing at all. I would really like to scrap the air shocks and lower the tail end to where it looks and handles correctly [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 04, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech

Without more info, it sounds like your problem is the 275's on the 15X8's. That's a little too wide for a 8" tire. I'd suggest a 255 in the rear. Would probably solve your problem.

Jon
Driverz Inc.com
"The Custom Wheel Experts"
1-866-694-5940
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 04, 11:41 AM
Senior Tech

To fit 275/60R15 on a 15x8 you need a 4" backspacing to place the tire in the optimal wheel well position. You might also need to roll the fender lips as well. If you have a 4.5" backspace then you can decrease that to a 4" using a 1/2" spacer, else like Jon said you might consider 255/60R16 instead.

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 04, 11:59 AM

nkbdan,
Look at this old post. it has alot of useful info. [img]smile.gif[/img]

https://www.camaros.net/forum/ultimat...=001393#000000
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 04, 12:41 PM
Senior Tech

Problem is there is alot of incorrect info in that post, the best solution is for this guy to measure his current backspace and if it rubs on the inside, use a 1/2" spacer to decrease the backspace, if it rubs on the outer lip, then roll the lip.

and
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 04, 01:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Lewis:
Problem is there is alot of incorrect info in that post, the best solution is for this guy to measure his current backspace and if it rubs on the inside, use a 1/2" spacer to decrease the backspace, if it rubs on the outer lip, then roll the lip.
Speaking of incorrect info. a 15X8" with only 4" b.s. and 275/60 will rub badly on the outer wheelwell unless his car sits very high in the rear. A friend had that setup on his 69 with 5" b.s. and it barely cleared the outer wheelwell; no way 1" further out would have worked.

Jody

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 04, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Camcojb:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Brian Lewis:
Speaking of incorrect info. a 15X8" with only 4" b.s. and 275/60 will rub badly on the outer wheelwell unless his car sits very high in the rear. A friend had that setup on his 69 with 5" b.s. and it barely cleared the outer wheelwell; no way 1" further out would have worked.

Jody
</font>[/QUOTE]Jody you are incorrect, 5" backspacing put the wheel dangeriously close to the inner well and shock, 4" places the 8" wheel dead center in the wheel well between the front lip and the inner well wall. You are telling us 5" bs barely cleared the outer wheel well, that is nuts when there are tons of people on this board running 4.5 and 4" backspacing on an 15x8 rim without any problems.
ChevyHP says the max you can get is
15 inch wheel, 4.87 backspace, 8.5in width, 28X10.5 tire, so if you shrink the wheel down to 8" rim size then to keep the wheel centered as ChevyHP recommends you would use a 4.38" backspacing, or to keep the outer rim lip the same as ChevyHP recommends but give yourself a little more inner well clearance you would use a 4" backspacing.

and
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 04, 05:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Jody [/qb][/QUOTE]Jody you are incorrect, 5" backspacing put the wheel dangeriously close to the inner well and shock, 4" places the 8" wheel dead center in the wheel well between the front lip and the inner well wall. You are telling us 5" bs barely cleared the outer wheel well, that is nuts when there are tons of people on this board running 4.5 and 4" backspacing on an 15x8 rim without any problems.
ChevyHP says the max you can get is
15 inch wheel, 4.87 backspace, 8.5in width, 28X10.5 tire, so if you shrink the wheel down to 8" rim size then to keep the wheel centered as ChevyHP recommends you would use a 4.38" backspacing, or to keep the outer rim lip the same as ChevyHP recommends but give yourself a little more inner well clearance you would use a 4" backspacing. [/QB][/QUOTE]

No way. I was there, believe me. Been there, done that. A 4.5" might work but NO WAY 4" on an 8" rim with 275/60's will clear on anything stock height or (especially) lowered. It was close on the inside, but even that far in we still had to roll the outer wheelwells completely under (which the owner did NOT want to do) to gain clearance. He started with the standard offset 15X8" which came with 3.75" b.s. The tire sidewall was even with the OUTSIDE of the wheelwell; how can 1/4" further in make it work? And yes, he had this setup on the stock 10 bolt and the stock 12-bolt from my yellow car, so the rear end width was factory.

Yes, you can run a 15X8" wheel and 4" b.s. on the rear, just not with a 275/60-15 tire, UNLESS your car sits higher than stock and has air shocks to prevent it from dropping at all.

Using your theory of an 8" wheel needing a 4" b.s. to be centered in the wheelwell, then a 17X9.5" wheel should use a 4.75" b.s. to fit correctly in the center, right? That combo requires a 5.5" b.s. to work, almost an inch more b.s. from centered which is what my recommendation of 4.75" to 5" is.

For a 4" b.s. on an 8" wheel to be centered in the wheelwell as you say, then the flange the wheel bolts onto on the rear end must also be centered in the wheelwell. It is not; it is closer to the outer wheelwell than the inner wheelwell by nearly an inch, hence the need for more backspacing. All of this depends on the tire size though; if the tire is small enough you can get away with a 3.75" to 4" b.s. on an 8" wheel. But not when you're trying to fit something as large as a 275/60.

Jody

[ 04-21-2004, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Camcojb ]

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 04, 04:11 PM
Tech Team

I trial fitted a set of 275/60R/15's on my '69. The wheels were 8", and they had a 4.5" backspace. They fit OK, but a 4.75" would have been perfect

Viva La France...She's always there when she needs you
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 04, 04:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally posted by HeadHunter:
I trial fitted a set of 275/60R/15's on my '69. The wheels were 8", and they had a 4.5" backspace. They fit OK, but a 4.75" would have been perfect
EXACTLY!

Jody

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 04, 05:37 PM
Senior Tech

I had a heck of a time fitting a 275/50/15 with a 8.5" wheel and 5" b.s on my 69.
4.75 would have been better I think as far as the rubbing on the inside but you will still need to trim the outer lip or roll it.
Joe
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 04, 07:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally posted by urbs big block camaro:
I had a heck of a time fitting a 275/50/15 with a 8.5" wheel and 5" b.s on my 69.
4.75 would have been better I think as far as the rubbing on the inside but you will still need to trim the outer lip or roll it.
Joe
Yep, with the extra sidewall bulge of a 275/50 versus a 275/60, the 4.75" b.s. would be better. The 5" worked well with a 275/60.

Jody

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode