Vibration with aluminum wheels - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 04, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

This is about my '86 pickup. I'd post it at a site more suitable for these pickups, but frankly, I believe all the best knowledge is at the Team Camaro and Chevelle sites.

So here's the problem. It's a 1986 half ton. With the stock wheels and tires, there is no vibration at any speed. Everything is good.

Now, I picked up a set of aluminum slot mags at the swapmeet. 15x10 with 275/60-15 for the rear, and 15x8.5 with 245/60-15 for the front. The front tires had about 10,000 miles left, so I went ahead and drove on them until they needed replacing. However, at freeway speeds (60-70 MPH) there was a vibration felt through the whole truck, including the steering wheel. Kind of a side-to-side shimmy.

I got new tires for the front now, figuring it would solve the problem. I asked the tire guy how they balanced, and he said "Just fine. No problems there." I took it out on the freeway, and the vibration is still there, but a little less.

Did I buy a bad set of wheels? Can a out-of-round wheel balance OK with a new set of tires? Any ideas on this?

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 04, 07:51 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Check for wheel runout.

If not that, You might look at those new tires. I have had defective new tires before.

-Mark.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 04, 03:23 PM

How do the bolt holes look in the rims? The reason I ask is that most older aluminum slot type rims are what is called lugcenteric(sp?) in other words the wheel/tire is centered on the hub on the vehicle by the fit of the lug nuts in the rim. Steel wheels use the hubcenteric style, the wheel is centered by the fit of the center of the wheel over the raised center portion of the hub. If your aluminum rims have damaged or worn lug holes, or you are using incorect lug nuts, the wheels may not be centered with the hub. This runout would probably be most noticeable at highway speeds.

Blue69

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 04, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

That's a darn good question, Blue. It does seem as if there is some corrosion inside the lug hole. I say this because when I tighten the lugs, I can't do it by hand. It's tight enough to need a wrench. This may have something to do with it.

So it could be either there is corrosion inside those holes and making the ID a bit smaller, OR the lug holes are not concentric with the lug studs.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 4th, 04, 04:57 AM
Senior Tech
Rex

I would take your truck back to the tire store and ask them to find the vibration. Have the balance checked on the rear. The technician balancing the rear tires should be able to tell if the rim is out of round or it is a rear tire. My 1969 has abad rim on the right rear and the vibration you are talking about is the same problem that I had. Balancing an out of round rim can make it better, but you may still have the vibration. I was able to get most of my vibration out. Good luck

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 5th, 04, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

You've gone from a narrow tire to a wider tire putting more dynamic load onto the front suspension. The unbalance of a wider tire is now over the width of the tire and has not been compensated, and/or a wheel could be untrue.

Raise the tire off the ground by 1 inch. Set a dial indicator perpendicular to the rim. Rotate wheel, runout should be less than .010 inch.

Place dial ind onto the inside of rim, parallel to the body side. Measure out-of-roundness, should be less than .010 inch.

After determining the wheel is fairly straight and new tire is fairly round, you might find a shop with the ol' Bear balancing machine. The one with the two electric motors to spin the tire and the tech adjusts weight wheels to remove the unbalance. Watch the radio antenna......

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 04, 01:07 PM
Team Member
John

Take it to a shop that has a Hunter GSP-9700 balancer; it also diagnoses and measures both radial and lateral runout, AND radial force variation, which is totally independent of tire/wheel balance. Use the link below to the Hunter site - there's a locator there to show you where the nearest shop is to you that has a GSP-9700. Amazing machine - makes ordinary balancing machines obsolete.

http://128.242.141.111/

[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 04, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Wow, thanks John, that was very helpful. Using the locator I see that most of the high end places (Mercedes, BMW, Ferarri dealers) use these machines...must be good. I'll give it a shot!

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode