Balancing Rally Wheels - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 10th, 04, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

I have a set of 14x7 aftermarket Rally Wheels from Wheel Vintiques. I got them balanced today at a Firestone shop and they said that one of the wheels is out of round and gave them a little trouble balancing. The car still shakes a little at 55-60 MPH. I called Wheel Vintiques and the guy told me that the wheels need to be "lug center balanced" as opposed to going off the center bore, and that all of the wheels are verified true before shipping, and that I need to take them back for the lug center balancing.

I've never heard of this before, can anyone tell me if this true and if it's a common thing or not?
Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 11th, 04, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

I'm surprised the Firestone didn't do this first. There is an adapter, they may have to buy it first, where the wheel is bolted onto it, then the assembly is mounted onto the spindle of the machine.

Or, you can find a wheel shop, usually one who does truck tires, using the old Bear balancer, the type where it has two electric motors to spin the tire on the car and balance the wheel assembly with a "wheel cover" having knobs in the center of the cover. Watch the radio antenna for minimal whipping.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 11th, 04, 12:31 PM
Retired
Jim

Ev has the good idea. That balancer system I used during my college years job. It worked awesomely. You could rest a full cup of coffee on the dash when done balancing since you also were balancing the whole wheel, tire, and brake drum too. If you do this, mark a wheel stud with an X and a small X on the bolt hole in the wheel for that stud. If you have to remove it you can go back to exact again.

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 12th, 04, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Angry

I found a shop in the city who does the balancing on the car, I had never heard of this before. I'll be bringing it to him next week and I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks guys!
Brian
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 14th, 04, 07:47 AM
Senior Tech
Rex

I manage a firestone store in Texas, and we do not have the tool to balance like that, but there is a machine that everyone will probaly be switching to that will tell us if you have a bad rim or not. I suggest to my customers that have this problem to go to a place where they balance on the car, if and when we run into this problem. If they said they had some trouble with a rim, there is a good chance they may have seen the rim"jump" while it was spinning. If this happens, you may get it close, but you can't balance an egg.

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode