Would you do this!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 21st, 04, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

A machinist friend offered a solution to my wheel problem. I've always liked Cragar SS's, but they only come with 4.5 b/s. I need 4.75 to get the 275/60R/15's centered in the wheel well. He suggested "we" chuck the wheels up in his lathe and get them dead on straight and turn .250" off the mounting flange. After I got back up off the floor, he showed my how thick the flange is on this wheel and by golly it just might work. Lawsuits and liabilities aside, would y'all feel comfortable with this on your car? [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img]

Viva La France...She's always there when she needs you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 04, 03:44 PM
Team Member
John

Nope! Wheels are subject to immense stress at the mounting area, and that's the last place to remove material if you want them to stay on the car; bad place to "experiment".

JohnZ
CRG
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 04, 06:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

I agree with John, don't mess with the wheels! Tell him to try it on his car first, and after a year or two,with no problems, you might consider it... [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img] Zuma

(STAY THIRSTY, MY FRIENDS).

1969 Camaro
1990 IROCZ28 convertible (SOLD)
2004 Silverado Z71 4x4
2008 Pontiac G8 GT
GGSMU member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 25th, 04, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Since the other wheel I like comes with 4.5 and 5.5 b/s, my option is to use the 5.5 and a .75" wheel spacer. I was under the impression that wheel spacers were not the greatest thing either. What ya think? [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 04, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech

I'm using 1/2" spacers on my rear wheels and have had no problems so far. Had to get longer studs though. And I think we went with larger diameter as well. These are the wheels that came with my car. My car has a Nova 8.5 rear end, so my guess is the previous owner mixed and matched til he found something that "kinda" worked. The next project on my car is new rear-end and possibly a new wheel and tire set up, and I won't be trimming or using spacers at that point.

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 04, 09:02 AM

Angry

You can get the SS in 4.75 back spacing. I have a set. Got them new a year ago.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 04, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Tim..who did you buy them from

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 27th, 04, 02:10 AM

Cool

Wheel City out of Evansville Ind. 1-800-322-6247 ask for Jon. Crager will offset every 1/8" it cost you $10 more for a coustm offset. Mine have around 1000 miles on them and have never been wet and I will take $450 for wheel and tire. I have a guy that would like to have the front ones. Save you some money call Jon frist and get some prices. I can send you some Pic's if you like. Happy Hunting. TIM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode