GM corvette ralleye question... - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 29th, 04, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

Smile

My friend wants to sell me his original GM ralleye's. They're 15 x 8's. There's 4 rims, 4 beauty rims, and 4 cones. All parts are very nice shape. No major dings or scratches, but the cones (center caps) need the black in the inset's repainted black. He's not sure what he wants for them and I don't know what they're worth. Anybody got a figure that would be a "fair deal"??

Thanks-Dano [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

If you can't see the bright side of life, try polishing the dull side...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 29th, 04, 04:30 PM
Senior Tech

I would say 200 dollars would be a good deal, 250 a fair deal, 300 dollars would be the going rate around here.........KZ
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 29th, 04, 05:24 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Not sure you are going to want 15x8's up front Dan...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 29th, 04, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

Dennis, I know that 14x7's came stock on the coupe...are 15x8's gonna rub? Is there some kind of clearance issue?

Dano [img]smile.gif[/img]

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 29th, 04, 06:10 PM

Dan,
I used to have a 68 Convertible with 15x8 rallys, there was no rubbing on that car..
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 29th, 04, 06:16 PM
Senior Tech

I ran a 235/60/15 up front on a 69 Camaro with a 15x8 rim without any rubbing........KZ
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 30th, 04, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

Thanks gentlemen (and Sam [img]tongue.gif[/img] )lol...Now I want the rims, but the tread is gonna be $$$ and I just bought new rims and tires last year Anybody have a reason why the 15 x 8's won't work in the front?

Dano [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 30th, 04, 05:52 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Dan - take some time and use the search (15x8) in this forum. I said "not sure" because the info you'll find is mixed... You'll get 287 threads returned, not all of them are on topic but if you weed through them by title you'll find plenty of info such as this...

https://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum...c;f=8;t=001397

I had FW 15x7's with 235/60's (4" back spacing?) on my ragtop and they were almost touching the bolts that hold the inner fenders in place.

The '68 Sam speaks of with round wheel openings usually has the fender lip above the tire, the squared off '69 the tire has to fit behind the lip or the car would have to be lifted. The 15x8 is more likely to fit the '68. Since John has put them on a '69 with no rubbing I would find out and run the same back spacing he did. I don't know what back spacing the vette 15x8 is but there are lots of aftermarket 15x8 that don't match the factory wheels.

Anyway proceed with caution is what I'm saying, everyone told me 275/40/17's fit on the rear of a '69 without rubbing, they are in my rafters now and I'm running 255/45/17's. The wider were fine with just me in the car and nothing in the trunk. Pack a cooler and chairs and what not in the trunk and add the wife, daughter and a friend in the interior and it was a different story... I could have run a thin spacer and rolled or trimmed the fender lip and made it work I guess....

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 30th, 04, 08:18 AM

Good points all, Dennis. And when it comes to tires, not all 275-40 tires have the same total width..

Dan-o, you should just sell that '69 and get yerself a nice 68! [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

-Sam
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 30th, 04, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

Thanks Dennis! I will do some research and error on the side of caution... I know the seller good enough to try them on the car first, then give him an answer, so if there's no major problems with clearance...I'll give them a whirl. Sam, I like '68's just fine, but everyone knows that it took GM 3 tries to "get it right"

Dan [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 30th, 04, 07:47 PM
Senior Tech

Hey Dan - I'm using 15x8 factory corvette ralleys on the front of my 69 with a 265\50R15 BF Goodrich TA radial- it works but it is extremely tight - you will have fender clearance problems if your camaro does not sit high enough - my driver side fender got a bit wrinkled from a good size dip - hence a new set of BBC springs - now I have to match the paint!!!Good luck!!!

Rat Touring 1969 Camaro X44 496 Richmond Super T10 Plus 4-Speed 3.55 4 wheel disc
..and sporting all new suspension, wheels, etc etc... take a look...

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 31st, 04, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

Hey Nick, Thanks for the reply! I have found out that back spacing is most of the issue and tire height is the other.And other issues come into play such as how sagging is the front end, are you willing to roll the lip on the inner fender well etc. I just got done rebuilding the front end of my '69 coupe and it sits a bit higher in the front, so...I will try the rims with the tires that are currently on them (bald) and see what happens. I may find that I need less sidewall and that it will work, or that it will not work due to the backspacing etc...It should be interesting...

Dano [img]smile.gif[/img]

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 31st, 04, 06:07 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

In 67 or 68 the Vett used a 15x7 Ralley Wheel with a back space that allows a 15x8 trim ring to fit on the wheel. I have run these ( I am currently on the rear) on the front witha 225/60/15 and had no rubbing of inner fender. I had a slight rub (takes the paint off) on the frame rail at full lock turned left but not right.

If you want the look of a 15x8 in the front these are the wheels to use. I have ran 15x8's in the rear with these wheels with 235 and 245 60/15's for a very nice raked look. All this was on 67 and 68 Camaros. The 245's in the rear would rub if I hit a big nasty bump.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 04, 02:41 PM
Senior Tech

Hey Dano - hope the info helps - I can send pics of my setup if ya need! Let me know your email!

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode