Tires too big? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 04, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

I just pruchased my 1st Camaro... 68' 327/275 CA car.

The tires on the car are 15" with the 68 Ralley wheels. I'm going to the guys house I bought the car from next week to pick up the original wheels and wheel covers.

Anyway, the tires on the car rub when I hit a large bump in the road. Other than that they are ok. The tires on it now are 235/60/15.

If I wanted to keep the lareg 15" Ralley wheels, what size tires would I need to use to make sure there was never any rubbing?

Thanks for your help!!

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 04, 01:42 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan

Talking

Ok, here's what I've read about max tire size: Vintagewheelworks.com (http://vintagewheelworks.com/fguide.html) recommends going with no bigger than 225/50/16 front and 245/50/16 rear on a 68. Crunching some numbers would give us 24.86 inch diameter and 8.86 width on the fronts, and 25.65 diameter and 9.65 width on the rear wheels. I think these might be conservative.

I read in Chevy High Performance Magazine that they recommend going no bigger than 245/40/17 front and 275/40/17 rear (with 5 inch backspacing front and 5.5 rear). Calculating these out would give you 24.74 inch diameter and 9.65 width on the fronts with 25.66 diameter and 10.83 width on the rears.

On the rear wheels you might have to relocate the shocks inboard to get that kind of width. I think the thing that is important is looking at what your total diameter, your total width, and what backspacing you will have, not so much if you have 17 inch wheels and 40 series tires (or any other combo).

What I put on my car that works so far is 245/45/17 front and 275/40/17 rear so that both front and rear had about the same diameter (25.68 and 25.66 diameters) with widths of 9.65 inches front and 10.83 rear. This size might be pushing it for some people, so be careful (I can almost fit a finger between the rear tire and rear wheel well on the inside). I don't have too many miles on this combination, though. I've got 17x8 (0 offset) front and 17x10s (6mm offset) rear.

What I would do is read what other people have posted works and what doesn't. I read somewhere that a guy had 255/40/17's that rubbed (25.03 diameter and 10.04 width), so I figured that it would be hard to get a 10 inch width tire to work on the front (though some people may have gotten them to work).

I too had a previous Camaro that the wheels would hit in the bumps (going fast though underpasses, etc.). This car had the front springs that were shot (too soft). If your suspension is in great shape, you might be able to go with pushing towards the upper ends of these limits. If your suspension is older, you might want to be more conservative. If you find out you are hitting on the outside fender, you can take the chrome trim off and/or roll the lip of the fender with a baseball bat (from what I've read).

Your 235/60/15's have 26.10 diameter with 9.25 width. If you can figure out where you're hitting, you can narrow it down if they're too tall or too wide, or if your suspension needs to be fixed somewhere.

Hope this helps! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 04, 03:21 PM
Senior Tech

where does it rub? don't know how a Camaro compares to my Nova as far as wheel fitment is concerned, but i had 235/60's on 15X7 Z/28 wheels last year, and nothing rubbed on the front. had 255/60/15's on matching wheels on the rear with no rubbing, either.
sometimes, you can take out the inner fender bolt at the top of the wheelwell to gain just enough clearance to make stuff not rub. taking the bolts out won't hurt anything, and costs nothing but a couple of minutes of your time.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 04, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

They were hitting the inside (top) of the fender wells. The good new is I put it up on a lift, put one of the rubber spring expanders in, so the spigns wouldn't bottom out, and now it works great.

I may put the original 14" wheels back on with the wheel covers once I pick them up.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 04, 02:46 AM
Senior Tech
Dan

I had no rubs with 15x7 4.25" backspace rallys with p215/65R15, and the car is lowered. -Dan

62 Corvette (Stock Restoration)
68 RS/SS Camaro, LS7/T56
68 RS Convertible project LS3/480/4L70
2006 Corvette Z06
2011 Corvette GS Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode