Torque thrust two on 69 convert - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 04, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok I know this has bee asked before . I'm building a 69 convertable it has the stock 12 bolt rear end with cadillac rear discs , the front is stock single piston disc . Now I want to lower the car around two inches front and rear for a look like Bob Spears convert . I want to put as much rubber under the rear as I can in a 17 inch wheel , I think 7 inch will work on the front but what size for the rear and what size tires for this thing front and rear .
Please help . ps and what brand of tires should I run . street driven 600 horse motor .

pictures can be viewed at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 04, 12:55 PM
Senior Tech
Dana

Fronts: Max 8" wide, 5" backspace, 245/45-17. Rears: Max 9.5" wide, 5.5 backspace, 275/40-17. Most people say run 235/45's in front and 255/45's in rear if you don't want to take any chances on rubbing. Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 04, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Sounds good . Now with that 5.5 rear spacing the tires will fit up inside the rear wheel wells and also clear the shocks in the stock location .
Mark

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 04, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech
J

I'm running that same size on the rear. I found that on the passenger side the inside of the tire rubbed against the frame - especially on turns. No problems with the shock. I added a 5/16 spacer and havent had a problem.

I'm running the BF Goodrich g-force KDWS tires.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 04, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech

I have a buddy that has a 650hp supercharged rustang and he has the Nitto 550's and they grip hard !! I was very surprised at how well they handle. He is useing the regular street tires not the drag radials. I think he is running a 275/45/17. Those are the tires that I plan on buying next!

69 Camaro RS, 383ci,10.5-1 AFR 195's ported, Comp 286HR, 4340 forged Crank & Rods, JE Pistons, RPM Airgap, Holley 750 HP carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit, 3000 Coan, Be cool, caltracs,12bolt 355 eaton posi..Best E.T. 12.22 @ 112

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 04, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Very nice looking car , I have to get off my butt and get on with mine .Those 275 sound like the way I will go also , I want to get some kind of traction when I get this going . I,m just in the process of getting my tremec 600 hundred all stuffed in there and then it's time for the exhaust . Thanks again for all your help .
Mark .

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 04, 06:43 PM
Senior Tech
Dana

The only problem with the 17X9.5 is they are custom order which means a little more money and a wait. Here is a pic of my RSZ with 17X7 (4" BS) and 17X8 (4.75" BS) with 235/45 and 255/45.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 04, 02:27 PM

This is the perfect posting. I too have a 69 camaro convertible that is due some new looks.

I think this is the combo I want to go with please let me know if anyone sees a problem.

Front is a stock suspension with the exception of hotckins 2 inch lowered springs. Stock disc brakes.
I want to go from the 215/60-15's to the 245/40-17's on a 17x8 Eagle alloy 212 wheel using 5" backspace.

Rear is stock 5 leaf set up drum brakes. I think it's old and worn out because it sits as if it's 2"s lowered. OK I have 235/60-15's would like to go with 275/40-17's using a 17x9.5 rim Backspacing 5.5.

I like the price of the Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 @$135 or the Falken FK451 @$147 Any preferences guys.

By the way new to this forum and love it.

69 Camaro SS convertible
383 Stroker Dyno @flywheel 447HP @Rear wheel 355.
4spd
White with orange stripes
Black top and Black houndstooth interior.

Sam
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 04, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Is anybody running the Eagle F1 run flats , I wonder if they would have a stiffer sidewall , I like the look of the tread pattern .I want to run as much tire as I can get under the back if I could , the 275/4017 should be the max without cutting .

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 04, 07:37 PM

A noisy, lacking life tire.

A 275 on a 9.5" rim with 4.5 to 4.75 on a 69 platform will fit just fine.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 04, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

So for traction and a good ride what would be the Tire's to run .The car will only be driven on nice days .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode