tire size help - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 04, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i have a 67 vert with multi-leaf springs in the rear and hotchkin 1-1/2" lowered coils up front.i have 16x7 wheels up front and 16x8 in the rear.what size tire do u guys recommend.any help would be appreciated.by the way i did a search but didn't find much info that pertains to my setup..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 04, 10:33 AM

Question

What did you search?

Try "Hotchkis" "16" or "tire size".

Also make sure yor are searching the right area 'Wheels & Tire'

Good Luck
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 04, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thats what i did search.the rears i'm not too worried about, i figure i can go with 250/50r16.its the front that i am concerned with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 04, 04:52 PM

Try just "16" as your search. And check the spelling of "Hotchkis"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 04, 07:51 PM
Senior Tech
Richard

I have the hotchkis lowering springs on my 67. My front rims are 16X7 with 4" of backspace. Tires are 205/55's. Tire dia is 24.9 inches. Have had them on for many thousands of miles with no clearance problems. It seems from reading a lot of the posts here that guys are using larger wheel and tire combos than me on the front of their 67's with no problems. However, when I recently had my sub-frame off, I noticed when turning the wheels lock to lock the inside trailing edge of the tire was really close to the frame.
Rich

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 04, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks rich,what size are you running in the rear?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 04, 06:52 AM
Senior Tech
Richard

The rears are 16X8 with 4.5"bs. Tires are 225/50's. Diameter is also 24.9. I was worried about rubbing so I was way to conservative with my choice. There is plenty of room back there with this combo. I could have easily went with a wider tire and a little more backspacing. But be aware although I do have the Hotchkis lowering springs on the front, I don't have them in the rear. I do have a stock height replacement 3 leaf with a half inch lowering block though. When it's time for new tires I want to fill the rear wheel wells a little more with maybe a 245/45.
Rich

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 04, 05:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Check my pic... 16 x 7 (3.875 bs) w/ 225/50/16 in front, no rubs anywhere ever... and it's low.

If you go bigger than 225, you start having issues. backspace has to be perfect, or the tire will either rub the top of the wheel well under compression (too little bs) or the back of the tire will hit the subframe when you turn (too much bs)

I did a 245 long ago, had to trim the top of the inner fender, relocate some of the mounting bolts, and roll the whole top of the fedner lip, too. it still rubbed the frame at full lock turn. (that car was really low...)

The pro touring guys get some huge rubber under their cars, but they work real hard at it. stiff suspensions, limited travel, modified wheelwells, custom subframes and a arms and stuff like that.

The rears are 255-45-17 on 17 by 8 w/ 4.5" bs. 265 would fit easy, 275 is getting iffy, although lots do it. Tires I wanted didn't come ina 265.

The rear tires are an inch taller than the fronts, gives a lil more rake.

[ 08-10-2004, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: JimM ]

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode