how long are tires good? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 04, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

I have a set of BFG T/A's that have been on my car for approx 10 years. The tires have about 5k on them and the car is garaged when not in use. I recently call BFG and asked them a question about the tires and they asked how old they were, when I told them, they said tires should be replaced every 6 year regardless of use.

Has anyone else heard this or is it the product liability concerns they may have at corporate?

68 Camaro mild .030 427 12 bolt posi
10 2LT RS daily driver, Summit White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 04, 07:10 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

The manufacturer will tell you just about anything to get you into a new set of tires! I have had tires last way longer than 6 years without problems.

I always go by the look of the rubber- if the sidewalls are getting minute cracks in the rubber they are dry rotting and it's time to replace them. Deep cuts, bulges or delamination of the belts in the tread or sidewall are other telltale signs of damage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 04, 06:38 AM
Senior Tech

The main problem that I have as tires age is that the tread seems to dry out somewhat and lose traction.

1970 original owner, F41

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 04, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

the tires don't have any dry rot, they look almost brand new. Traction has not been a problem since I have none. One of the big problems has been with a 245 tire and 427 engine.

thanks guys

68 Camaro mild .030 427 12 bolt posi
10 2LT RS daily driver, Summit White
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 04, 05:55 PM
Senior Tech

I agree with Choptop - look in between the tread - if it's cracked or the wear indicator bars are showing- then consider replacing them since your tires are the only thing holding you and your ride out of the weeds...Got a 468 in mine - lucky if a get a summer out the rear BFGs....grin factor - 10. Cash factor - 1.

Rat Touring 1969 Camaro X44 496 Richmond Super T10 Plus 4-Speed 3.55 4 wheel disc
..and sporting all new suspension, wheels, etc etc... take a look...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 04, 03:20 PM
Senior Tech
Rex

I do not think they would tell you that just to buy a set of hoops, It is a legal issue. Rubber goes bad with time. I would replace them....even with no cracks or "tell, tell" signs of failure. I tire can go bad at anytime and with age the tire will dry out..you can not look into the tire. Is it worth trashing your car or yourself over 200-300 bucks??? If they tire fails and damages the car and the tire is over 6 years old (the DOT code is on the tire....the last four digits or the date. i.e 1401. 14th week of 2001. Unless it has a triagle beside the 01 then it is 1991. the triangle is a decade marker, used every other. the whole code would look something like w2 urp hyhl 1401) they will not pay for any damage. The more you use the tire now,the quicker the problems will begin to show up.

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 04, 03:29 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Burn them off and get new ones [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode