Best and Worst Street Tires for 60 foot times - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 04, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Anyone have any opinions or experiences with different brands of street tires?

It really is disappointing to buy new tires only to find they have horrible traction off the line. It would be great if we could collect some info here to get an idea before we purchase.

Here is some info on a few different street tires I tried on my mid 14 sec Malibu with a basically stock 406:

Baseline tires were a cheap set of Sears Guardsman 40 T/E tires in the 205/70 14 size. These would spin pretty easily if powerbraked or if full throttle was used right off the line. 60 ft times were 2.35, 2.32

Next were a set of 245/45 17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730s that I borrowed from the front of my 69. Right from the first run the increased traction was obvious. They could still be made to spin but you had to try harder by powerbraking or mashing the gas from a stop. 60 ft times were 2.13, 2.19, 2.12, and 2.24. I had bought these tires about 2 years ago from Tirerack.com after reading several users comments about their straightline traction.

Next were Dunlop GT Qualifiers in the 235/60 15 size. These basically provided no traction and were worse than the original set of 14 inch cheapo tires. The 60 ft times were pretty bad:
2.42 and 2.54. These Dunlops came with a car I bought so I don't know if the rubber was getting old, but FWIW, they felt like they were greased with butter

Anybody have any input, good or bad, on street tires they've tried???
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 04, 03:47 PM

I have a set of 275/60-15 Goodrich Excentia's on the rear of my car. They are made with extremly hard rubber and spin like crazy! 60' times around 2.29-2.32
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 04, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the info Gary...I'll be sure to stay away from those!

Anybody else have any opinions on which tires are on the sticky or slippery side?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 04, 04:05 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Any of the hard radial tires you buy will not be good for drag racing. Also vry low profile tires don't work very well due to the stiff sidewalls. For your combo (17's) I would suggest Nitto drag radials, I doubt you will be able to spin them at all, they hook really well. I have seen cars go deep into the 10's on them, the tread pattern and life is better that BFGoodrich drag radials. With 17" wheels your options are limited as far as drag tires.

Have you thought about an extra set of wheels for when you go to the track? A set of 15" wheels with a set of McCrearys, Hoosiers, or Mickey T's would really make the car hook.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 04, 06:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I almost squeaked in below 2 with a 2.02 on elcheapo Road Hugger Radial 245's. However I think I just got lucky because I was easing into it and happened to hit it just right. Just an opinion but I wouldn't buy street tires based on how well they hooked at the track. I'll eventually get a set of Nittos like Royce suggest.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 04, 05:16 PM
Senior Tech

I have had good success with the Nitto 555's, and can echo the above comment on their long life.

67 Camaro | 350 | 650 Speed Demon | Dual plane GMPP intake | MSD ignition | Secret Cam (I don't know what it IS!) | 2.02/1.60 Camel Humps ported | Thorley Tri-Y's | 8.5 10 bolt 3.73 | M22
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 04, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was hoping to get away with one set of tires that gave reasonably good traction off the line. You know, having a car that's pretty quick in it's every day street trim.

Once I do a few upgrades (cam, heads, intake, rockers) to the 406 in my Malibu, I will almost definitely go for the Nitto Drag Radials in the 275/50 15 size. I had thought about BFG Drag Radials, but they wear much too quickly for my budget.

The 69 will be also be upgraded soon with a few things (posi, Trick Flow heads, RPM intake, and 1.6 roller rockers). I will see if I can get by with the 275/40 17 Bridgestone RE730s that are on now, since they are pretty sticky as far as regular street radials go. The car is a convertible with no cage and is going to stay a relatively mild street car. If I can get in the 12's I'll be happy.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 04, 11:01 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

My brother pulled a 1.98 on a set of Falken 245/50/16's.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 04, 12:50 PM

my69gofast -

I have a set of Nitto Drag Radials on my 69, 275/50/15. I am still learning what works best at the track. My best 60' to date is 1.933. That was with a healthy warm up through the water. I think along the same lines. I like to drive the car to the track, run it, and drive it home without much thrashing at the track.

With my limited experience with them, I am happy. I do not have any experience with other types of drag radials.

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode