Tire air pressure... - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 04, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I was wondering...and this might seem like a stupid question...but here goes.
A lot of us have replaced our wheel/tire combos with stuff that wasn't original to the car. On the stock wheels/tires, the manufacturer's recommendations are on the tire pressure guide, in the owner's manual or the sticker. But when you change the wheels and tires, sometimes drastically, how do you know the proper tire air pressure to maintain? I always inspect my tires for wear, but it seems that if it shows up on the tire as wear, its already a little too late. Any good "rule of thumb" besides trial and error?

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 04, 09:38 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Hi Steve - this has come up in the past and there are a couple sides to this. One is run the vehicle manufactures recomendation no matter what. The idea being the vehicle was designed to be carried with their recomendation for safety. I don't suscribe to that though. I believe the manufactures recomendation is for the tires that came on the vehicle.

I have had many types of vehicles over the years from econo boxes to sports cars to 3/4 ton heavy duty trucks and a lot somewhere in between. Most got some kind of wheel and tire treetment. As a youngster to improve handling and traction a little we put a few more pounds of air in the rears and a few lbs less in the fronts, this compensated a little for the front starting to push. Using my trucks to haul loads and for towing I always added air to the rears when putting a load on the truck. When I towed a travel trailer with a load leveler hitch I upped the air in all 4 tires. a common tip to help gas mileage is to increase the pressure in the tires to reduce rolling resistance. You can see I adjust pressure to suit the conditions.

Now if you look on the side of the tire you will see a cold inflation maximum and I never recomend running more than the max. For some reason, ever since radials came out I've had this magic number of 32psi in my head. I use that as the proper inflation rate for all around driving. Maybe 30 in front and 32 in rear even if the tires are rated for more unless the car is loaded down then I add more but never over the tires rating and also cold tires only.

The thing to always keep in mind is tire pressure can effect how a car handles so be aware when pressure changes are made so you are not caught off guard. Watching for tread wear is important too but you have to be really obervent, if you are just looking down from 6 feet above the tire it will be too late by the time you notice a pattern.

Maybe more than you wanted and I'm sure others will pipe up, they always have on this subject in the past...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 04, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

No, this is great. Its exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. When I had my tires replaced at Just Tires, I had this same discussion with two of the guys who work there. One guy said that no matter what wheel/tire combo you go with, still use the manufacturer's recommendations. The other guy, the store manager, said to read the sidewall of the tire, and just like you said, don't exceed the cold tire max pressure. And both these guys work in the same place!

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 04, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech
John

I recently read an article, (can't remember the mag, I was at my doctors office), but it did all sorts of tests and the consensis was; better high than low. Even a few lbs. made a difference in hydro-planing tests

John

'67 RS/SS 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode