4th gen wheels in 1st gen camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 04, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

i am planing on buying 4th generation camaro wheels for my 67 it is lowered 2inches in the front and an inch in the rear i was wondering what is involved in putting these wheels into the car. what needs to be changed also how safe is it and does anyone have any pics of it done. thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 04, 06:09 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
What 4th gen wheels? 16" Z28 or 17" SS wheels? Both have too much back spacing to fit a 1st gen without adapters that cost a couple hundred dollars...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 04, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

i am looking on putting the zr1 chrome wheels

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 04, 05:49 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Those are 17 x 9 or 17 x 9.5 and have 7" of back spacing. On a 1st gen 5.5" back spacing is the most you can run on a 17 x 9.5" wheel in the rear so you'll need a 2" thick adapter. Also you can't run more than a 17 x 8 on the front without modifications. The guys I know running the zr1's have removed the inner fenders up front along with the 2" adapters....

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 04, 05:04 AM

Personally, I think that 2 inch adapters on any vehicle increases the risk of failure. You have moved the centerline of support two inches farther out from the axle flange than the original design was made to accomodate. Just my .02.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 04, 06:22 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
69x - that's something to think about but what's the difference if a wheel pad has an extra 2" built into it? I know guys using the 2" addapters and their cars see track duty without any obvious issues. It seems to me the load on axle bearings would be increased but it doesn't seem to be causing anyone problems...

...Dennis

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 04, 07:39 AM

DJD, Like I said, it's just a personal opinion. The different thickness in wheel pads usually still aligns most of the pads with the centerline of the wheel/axle flange or pretty close. In all likelyhood, the damage to the axle bearings would not come about for quite awhile. Even if it cuts their life in half, you could still get anywhere between 50 - 75K out of them. Again, just my opinion and you know what they are like!!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 04, 05:00 PM

I've been running the 17 x 9" ZR1 style wheels (Camaro SS wheels) w/ 2" adapters for about 2 years on my '69. I check the torque of the spacers about each 6 mos and never found anything loose. I have run the car at auto-crosses.
I had to use a short 255/40-17 tire on the front 17 x 9 wheel to get clearance. I have a stock 2" lowered supsension, except for Heidt upper control arms and Guldstrand mod. It is very close, I had to grind the rear bolts that connect the inner fender to the outer fender to get clearance in turns. Each car is different, so one must measure carefully.

Gary

Gary M.<br />'69 Camaro<br />Red Pro-touring<br />383 ci 440 hp
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 04, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

hey gary m do you have any pics thanx
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 04, 03:26 PM

I've got pictures, but no way to post them. I could e-mail them to you if you wish!

Gary

Gary M.<br />'69 Camaro<br />Red Pro-touring<br />383 ci 440 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode