Comments overheard at a car show - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

A couple of weeks ago I went to a car show and was looking at approx. 20 69 Camaros. As I was looking at each car I heard several people say that the wheels really set the cars apart. Everyone seemed to like the new wheels that everyone is using and overlook the nice cars with rally wheels. I have been thinking for some time about changing and now I'm really confused as to which wheel looks the best. 15", 16" or the 17"s. Could I get some opinions please. Help me make a decision. I was looking at either the popular torque thrust II's or Eagle 211's. Thanks

Dave, 69 Coupe, 383, Q-jet, Thorley headers, 350 turbo, P.S., P.B. console gauges, Tilt wheel, Black with green pearl paint, Black and White Houndstooth interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 02:22 PM
Senior Tech

Ralleye wheels or SS wheels. Nothing else looks better on a 69 Camaro, period.
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 02:47 PM
Tech Team

I was thinking about changing my 15" ralley wheels recently to 17" wheels, but I could not find anything that I liked better than the ralley wheels. I elected to stay with the 15" ralley wheels. The other thing that influenced my decision was that I like more tire sidewall showing than the 17" wheels with 40 profile tires have. Additionally, the 15" ralleys are timeless and should allways be in style.

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 03:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

When I was at a photo shoot for my yellow car there were 20-30 other first gen Camaros there. I was talking to the Super Chevy photographer and said "Man, there's sure a lot of nice Camaro's here". His first comment was "yeah, but they all have friggin' rally wheels!"

I personally like them, they fit the car. But the magazine guys hate them. Not sure if that even matters to you, just thought it was an interesting comment.

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 03:47 PM
Senior Tech
John

Why not have both???

a half hour and you tatally change the look of your car...

rallies for car shows by day

17" billets for cruise nights.

It's a no-brainer (if you got some extra bucks)

The hardest part is choosing the right wheel and sizes and getting the right stance.

JD

'67 RS/SS 350
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 04:46 PM

How about 18's?
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Angry

I also think the Rally wheels looks great, I guess everyone thinks they are too common and the new wheels look nicer, at least that's the way people are talking. The ones I overheard talking were younger people and I must admit there were a lot of nice looking Cars at the show. It also seems that the ones with nice wheels were the ones who earned the awards. So what wheel sizes and makes look the best? Comments welcome.
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 05:08 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

What about 16 or 17 inch Rally Wheels. The only problem I know of is they do not make trim rings.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 04, 05:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Harrison:
What about 16 or 17 inch Rally Wheels. The only problem I know of is they do not make trim rings.
Wheel Vintiques makes 16 & 17" Chrome (so you don't need the trim rings) Rallys.
I've used 2 sets of their "68 Series" so far - but none on a Camaro. They are available in lots of widths and offsets and in all the common bolt patterns.
They are available in Primer or Silver but the Chrome finish is excellent and the fact there are no trim rings reguired means they won't be stolen of come flying off on corners!
Here is their link - http://www.wheelvintiques.com/wheels/rallye.html

I've been giving serious thought to a set of these on my rag - something still classic but not quite stock.

John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 04, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

OK I've heard from a lot of you with the Rally wheels but no one with 17" wheels have said anything about theirs, what about you guys with the 17" or 18"? Do you like what you have and why did you choose your wheels?
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 04, 06:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

I think "Bootlefoot" has 16 or 17" TT-2's on his car now. I remember pic.s a while back and they looked [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Maybe he will chime in or you could check his web from his profile ( http://www.geocities.com/boodlefoof/ )
Try checking the galley section on the main page for photos of members cars with bigger bling-bling... (luckily I haven't stumbled on any cars with 'spinners' on this site! )

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 04, 06:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

OK, here ya go then... Tires are Eagle F1's, 16x7 w/225-50 front, 17x8 w/255-45 back, from 15x7 rallys w 215-65-15 firestone radials

Before: I could smoke the tires at will, with as little as 2000 rpm clucth dump. Now, if I dump it at 5k, I burn the cluth, not the tires.

Before: Steering feel was vague, response to wheel corrections was slow, tended to overcorrect and seesaw. A road I drive every day, bumpy 2 lane with sweeping left, before it got scary at 55... back end would come out if i let off the gas, front would understter if i gave it throttle.

Now: Steering is tight, response immediate, no overcorrecting, no understeer ever, can make it oversteer with the throttle, but only when / how much I want it to. Same turn, 75 mph, comfy and secure, can ease or feed the throttle at will without any uncomfort.

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUE FOR MODERN RUBBER IF YOU DRIVE YOUR CAR CAUSE IT'S FUN!

And yes, I still have the rally's, half an hour will put em on if I want or need a stock look.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 04, 07:40 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Quote:
Originally posted by Camcojb:
When I was at a photo shoot for my yellow car there were 20-30 other first gen Camaros there. I was talking to the Super Chevy photographer and said "Man, there's sure a lot of nice Camaro's here". His first comment was "yeah, but they all have friggin' rally wheels!"
Ahh, Mr. Lee, clill's favorite best buddy friend in the whole wide world He's wrenching on Classic Truck Magazine now. He'll be at SEMA also.

I too originally had 15" rallys on my car. It was really hard to take the plunge into something different since I was set in my mind to stick wtih rallys. After driving on good, larger modern rubber (not BFG T/A, but a Comp T/A or better) I would now rather choose a rim to fit the tire choice.

Tire availability for 17's is much better than 16's. Before buying either make sure that the tire you want now, and perhaps in the future, is available. For example, 275/40/17's are likely the most popular tire around and can be found in just about every configuration that you might need. However, a 255/50/16 has very limited availability and styles. Finding a road course or autocross tire is tough.

post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 04, 02:58 PM
Senior Tech

"yeah, but they all have friggin' rally wheels!"
Well, I guess at a photo-op for first-gens, maybe so, but at local cruise nights, or just boppin' around on the Sunday drives, its rare to see the rallys. Lots of Cragars, here in L.A. anyway, and a few TTs and billett wheels. I like the chrome Cragars, gives the car a bit more attitude, and still looks period correct. And you can get 'em in lots of sizes.
I may, at some point, grab a set for my car, I think they'd look good, but I'll hang on to my rallys too.

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 04, 05:08 PM

He, He!!

I can just see right now that the photo guy's are gonna love my Pony "Bullitts"!!!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode