late model GM alloys on first gen cars??? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 04, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Guys I did a search and came up blank...question have you seen anyone sticking the alloys from the Camaros/Vettes around 99 or so and newer wheels around that time period on the the first gen cars???

I have a '68 that is just a driver while finishing up the '67 and I dont want to dump 2k into wheels and tires...in the old days guys were sticking the 85 vette wheels on the first gens with nice "STRONG" billit adapters...looks like that can be done today as there are a ton of stock wheels an tires floating around for a fair price... any feedback on what works best and what size adapters are you running.... found one site that was selling three different size adapters that were billit machined..and I dont plan on makeing any 130 mph Bonzi runs or pushing the car around the track just parts chaseing and looking decent is all.

Thnx Bud.

'67 RS/SS 350
'67 SS 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 04, 02:41 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Hi Bud, not sure what you searched on but there is a ton of info on the swap you are interested in. The big problem is the first gen won't want more than 5 1/5" of back spacing in the rear and maybe 4 3/4" in the front. 17" 4th gen SS wheels have 7" of back spacing. On the rear that means thick adapters and on the front thick adapters and no inner fenders... Typically you can fit 17x8 fronts and 17x9.5 rears on a first gen without mods. Find out what is you can get your hands on and do the math a 4th gen SS wheel is 17x9 with a 7" back space. A 2" adapter would allow it fit on the rear of your car. The adapters are expensive though so figure their cost in and it's like paying $50 - $75 more per wheel and you might just find something that doesn't require adapters for that much extra...

Slp does sell some 17x8 ZR1 takeoff's but I don't know if they look just like the 17x9's

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 04, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thnx Dennis I typed every scenerio I could think of and it came back no items found, lol...anyway here is what I am talking about http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43957

just for the heck of it I looked today and there are a bajillion rims like these online 4 sale..so I recalled the Vette wheels we used to do and thought hey this might be kinda cool and can be done cheap...not sure why they wont fit with the right adapters to fix the offset??....a 17" wheel and tire cant be any bigger than a 15 ralley and big old 60 series tire..right??? like I said I just started thinking this way this afternoon so I really dont have my facts straight yet..running no front wheelwell??? that must be a typo??? the Pro-touring crowd have them in dont they???

hook me up with some links that this was discussed here please and I wont re-hash a old topic..I know how I hate that myself.

Thnx Bud.

'67 RS/SS 350
'67 SS 350

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 04, 06:24 PM
Tech Team

U'll need the 84-87 wheels so that a smaller spacer can be used as they have less offset
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 04, 05:29 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Hey Bud, If you are looking for posts with exact fit, style and size, and what spacers or adapters were used, there may be something but what search string to use is gonna be difficult... When I said there is tons of info on the subject I am meaning info like what fits a 1st gen. Like I said above a 17x8 with 4.75 backspacing will fit the front of a first gen. That's here in at least 100 threads. Same that 17x9.5 with a 5.5" backspacing will fit on the rear. There's also tons on what tires fit. Then there's other threads that get into what has to be done to make 4th gen wheels fit. You'll have to take it from there as every car is a bit different and suspension and body mount condition also plays a big part.

If you are looking at a set of wheels on ebay that are 17x9 or 9.5 you can rest assured you'll need adapters to get the backspacing down to what will fit (5.5 rear, 4.75 front) and they won't fit the front of your car without inner fender modification. If you find some that are 17x8 they'll fit all away around with the right adapters but you may want less backspacing on the rear which would mean thicker adapters.

This gets more complicated than the old days as modern camaros and vettes are running wider wheels and huge amounts of backspacing as compared to our old cars. Even as late as the mid 80's wheel sizes were not too different from the 60's...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 04, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

cool thnx for the info..the more I looked into this last night I think you are right they are way different now..at first glance they looked like the same offset as the Vette wheels of the mid 80's and newer and they went on pretty easy back then and looked great the adapters were spendy like 500 back then. need to look around a little more,lol.

Thnx Bud

'67 RS/SS 350
'67 SS 350
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 04, 08:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I've got 17x8.5 and 18x9.5 C5 wheels on my '68 using (I think) 2" bolt on billet aluminum adapters front and rear. (I can measure if you care.) Had to "massage" the inner side of the rear wheel wells a bit, but otherwise they fit pretty well.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 04, 09:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I've got 17x8.5 and 18x9.5 C5 wheels on my '68 using (I think) 2" bolt on billet aluminum adapters front and rear. (I can measure if you care.) Had to "massage" the inner side of the rear wheel wells a bit, but otherwise they fit pretty well.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 04, 12:26 PM

There is also a table the guy's over at the Pro-Touring site have made up of actual installed wheels and tires if you want to do a search for it!!

Please say hello to Larry C. if you go over there for me..

pdq67

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 04, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

hey Mkelcy
I would like to see pics of how they look on your car!!..I jokingly call the '68 the Roach Coach due to a cruddy repaint..its a really clean New Mexico car..I dont want to cut her up it allready has rolled rear fender lips I dont care for..but I want to see how they look as I thought they would hop on this car without any hacking...I joined the Pro Touring site two day ago and am working my way through there old posts..thnx for the tips and help guys!

Bud.

'67 RS/SS 350
'67 SS 350
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 04, 03:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Take a look at http://webpages.charter.net/mkelcy/

I just uploaded a few (really big) pictures. If they're too slow to download let me know and I can reduce the file size.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 04, 03:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I should add that the modern, large, low profile, radial tires just ROCK on our cars. I won't go into detail, but let us just say that they do extremely well in our local mountains.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 04, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thnx thats what I am talking about!!! they look great!! how much do you have wrapped up in the package??? looks like e bay has an unlimited supply of them...BTW nice looking ride..looks like someone did a decent job of laying down the paint work.

Bud.

'67 RS/SS 350
'67 SS 350
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 04, 05:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Thanks for the compliments on the car. The paint's okay, not so much the underlying body work. When I get my second '68 done, I'll circle back and do the body on this one.

There are lots of wheels on Ebay, you can also look in whatever your version of the Recycler is. The Recycler tends to have more wheel and tire combos for a more reasonable price than Ebay does. I think I've got about $500 to $600 in the wheels (Ebay), another $600 or so in the tires (Tire Rack) and another $150 in the bolt on adapters (local place, I can get a name for you if you want).

You have to be careful with the rear wheels in particular because, although they'll bolt on and the car will go down the street just fine, if you go up a driveway at an angle so the car's canted from corner to corner, you can get some killer tire/wheel well rub; hence the "massaging."

Let me know if there's anything else you need to know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode