?'s about datsbad's orange 69 camaro, and fitting 18's - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I want to run 18's all the way around on my 69 camaro, and I like the stance that his orange camaro has. I wanted to find out his spacing for the front and the rear in order to get the best fit. I also was trying to find out how much his car is lowered in the front and rear.I think I might end up going maybe 1 inch higher then the level his is at. If anyone has any input please let me know. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 04, 04:48 PM
Senior Tech

Exclamation

Well what do want 1st the good news or the bad news? The good news is the car has Baer Brakes and the wheels are 18x7 with 4.75" of backspace and 225/40-18 tires and they don't rub at all! The bad news is the car was not drivable at that height. I met Jason on line and met up with him at the GM Nationals and Super Chevy Maple Grove. I have seen both his cars in person and they are real eye candy. His blue '69 is outstanding. Back to your questions. The orange car had NO suspension travel at all at that height - he has since changed the front springs. The car had to come up about 2" give or take. He achieved this by cutting Hotchkis springs. You could get the car that low with cut springs and dropped spindles - but the spindles are another can of worms to avoid. Wheel backspace becomes the 1st issue - then brake options and the list goes on. The orange car had dearched rear springs. His blue car now has Hotchkis cut front springs - 18x8" with 4.75" - 235/40-18 tires in the front and DSE 3" dropped springs and I think he still had to go with a 1" lowing block in the rear. Don't forget both cars have 27" tall 20" rear tires. 255/35-20s on 8.5 with 5.25" backspace wheels and rear Baer disc brakes are on the blue car. The orange car has the same size tire on 8" wheel with 5" of backspace and the same brakes. I hope this helps - if you need more info let me know and I'll try to provide it. Jack

Jack
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 04, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just want to figure out the lowest I'll be able to drive at, and also have the car sit dead level. I currently have drum brakes all the way around.And as far as I know all of the suspension is stock. I think down the road I will switch to disc brakes. Or do I need to do that before I get the wheels due to how they'll fit? I'm also trying to make sure that when I hit a bump that there will not be any rubbing on the rear fenders.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 04, 05:25 PM
Senior Tech

Question

Every car is a little bit different so you need to measure carefully and not go the extremes with wheel and tire sizes. You said you wanted 18s all the way around. Then I would say use an 18x8 in the front with 4.75" of backspace and a 225/40-18 tire. In the rear I would go with an 18x9 and 5.25" or 5.5" of backspace with a 255/45-18 tire. Yes you should do the disc brake convertion 1st and this is only a guide - you still need to double check. As far as getting the car low and level - it will take trial and error. Get the front where you want by trimming the springs - keep in mind some setteling will take place. You will probably have to use a lowering block with dropped springs in the rear to get the car to sit level at the height you want. Keep in mind bigger tires will fit but when the car is that low you will get rubbing that's why I suggested a little smaller. There is a '69 on www.pro-touring.com that belongs to Rich Downing - go to cars and look near the bottom of '69 Camaros (sorry I don't know how to link it). That car sits darn near perfect. Good Luck - Jack

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode