Backspacing for '67 - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 04, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

My '67 has 14" rally wheels. I would like to store them and put Cragar SS wheels on the car (the original style 14", for nostalgia). Can someone tell me what the offset and backspacing are on the original 14" rallys (I believe they are 14x7)? Is this the offset and BS I should use if I buy the same size 14" Cragars?

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 04, 05:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

First of - WELCOME to Team Camaro [img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]
'Original' 1967 Rallys would be 14X6 with @ 3-7/8" BS.
14X7 Rallys had @ 4" BS.
You can crossreference the "Code" (2 letters such as 'DG') on the rim edge to see which size you have. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 04, 06:33 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Great choice on new wheels, relatively inexpensive and they look great. I am also swapping the rally wheels out over the winter on my 67...and putting on Cragar SS's. It's all very confusing!! (gotta decide if staying with the 14's or go to 15's, will the tires rub? etc etc) My rallys are original and 14x6 3-7/8 bs. JimM was a big help. Look back, lots of talk about this in the last 20 days. "Things I saw at a car show" is a very interesting thread. Good luck ! I still haven't decided what to do, and am more confused than ever!!!

'67 Marina Blue Convertible. L30, PG. All numbers match, 41k original miles.

"The only time you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 04, 06:57 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Correction...the thread is "Comments overheard at a car show" It would be great if someone has the experience and knowledge, to post "if you have 14x7 or 15x7 wheels on a 67 Camaro, the highest and widest tire without any rubbing is XXX". But I guess it's not that simple and am learning that each car varies a little....all very confusing to me.

'67 Marina Blue Convertible. L30, PG. All numbers match, 41k original miles.

"The only time you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 04, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Thx for the welcome John and 67 Convt. And thx for the info. Yep, my rallys are, in fact, 14x6. Cragar makes a 14x6 S/S series 61 wheel, but I do not know what backspacing options are available...had to send them an email. Now all I have to do is consider whether to keep the rwl BFG T/A's or go with some redlines? [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Kevin
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 04, 03:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Hey and welcome from me too, Kevin.

The problem with any kind of definitive "this fits" is that there is too [email protected] many variables. Production tolerances can shift things around as much as 1/2". Stock disk brakes are 1/4" wider than drums. Then you get into what's happened to these cars in the past 35 years. Lowered or saggy suspensions, new or worn bushings, stock or modified alignment specs. Stock or modified suspension geometry.

When you get right down to it, all of us will share with you what worked (and didn't) for us, but we can't TELL you to spend your hard earned money on XYZ and it WILL for sure fit.

As an example, I've recently discovered here that the front rims I'm running shouldn't fit (7" w/3 7/8" bs), but do because I've modified my suspension geometry and run non stock alignment specs!

I've seen this posted by someone, and I think you can take it to the bank for non-huge tires/wheels:

Stock backspace + {(new rim width- stock rim width) / 2} = required backspace.

ie: 3 7/8" + {7" - 6") / 2 = 4 3/8" bs for new 7" rim. (4.5" is close enough)

The theory being that the center of the tire would stay where it always was, and grow equally both inside and outside.

This goes out the window if you get radical (bigger than 215 tire in front) or if you've modified the suspension.

Then you have to define fit. My first camaro ran 14x7 cragars w/ 235/60 tires, stock but lowered suspension, drm brakes. They fit, to me at the time. They rubbed the frame rail (backside of tire) shiny when turning, and I had to cut out a 12" arc, 4" deep out of the top of the inner fender and hammer the fender lip flat!

** check recent posts by black69 for a whole lot more of this.

*** at this point, all I can say is whew! I sure am glad my new tires / wheels do not rub!!

Jim

couldn't help myself, had to pop the ragtop in here, sorry...lol

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode