2000 SS Convertible Wheel Suggestions - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 04, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Cool

The 69 has reached the point where it needs to be torn down and built back up. I'm under no illusion that this will be a quick process. For the long haul, I purchased a red, 2000, Camaro SS LS1, convertible, manual transmission. (Huh, red, who da thunk it?)

Of course I have to mess with this car the second I get it so I'm looking to upgrade the wheels and tires.

I was thinking about chrome Z06 style wheels but still I need guidance towards, what is the best 17 inch wheel and tire combo to use? Can I get 18 inch wheels on it? What in your opinion looks better?

I'd like to maximize here so fat (phat?) and fill in the wheel wheels is where I want to be. I will not be lowering the car at all.

Your suggestions and hands on info will be appreciated.

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Rick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 04, 07:23 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Rick - Do some research before going to 17's or larger on a 4th gen ragtop. Your SS didn't get the same tire/wheel package the SS coupes got and it's my understanding there was even a battle fought over installing the same 17x9's with 275/40's the coupes got on the t-top cars as well. Like all ragtops the 4th gens structure is not the same as a coupe. My understanding is the Camaro ragtops structure just couldn't hold up to added traction of fat low profile tires with 300 hp the LS1 throws at them. The t-top SS' were marginal and it was decided to go with the 275/40/17's like the coupes...

That said I know 275/40/17's on 17x9 wheels will fit, not sure how much larger you can go though...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 04, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

I heard some of the same grumblings also Dennis but I can't find anything documented.

I entered the LS1 board and it is riddled with teenagers and twenty somethings. The most common phrase is "my car kicks ***." I do not hold too much faith in the info I may find there.

I may go to the Chevy parts counter and see what they say or call SLP direct.

Meanwhile, any other 4th gen people out there? What is the standard 2000 convertible tire / wheel combo?

Rick

Getting my first convertible just in time to put it away for the winter!

[img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode