Help with wheel size, please.. - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 04, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Cool

I'm going to try some 17 inch wheels for a new look. (Keeping the rally wheels though) and I'm not sure which sizes look the best. 225 or 235 x 45 on the front or 255 or 275 x 45 on the rear. What looks best? Help me out please. I'm putting 17 x 8 wheels on the front and 17 x 9.5 on the rear. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Dave, 69 Coupe, 383, Q-jet, Thorley headers, 350 turbo, P.S., P.B. console gauges, Tilt wheel, Black with green pearl paint, Black and White Houndstooth interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 04, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech

I gave my buddy a set of Goodyear GSC's for his 69 that came off my 95 vette - 255/40zr17 front and 285/40zr17 rears - looks like they'll fit with the corect offset rim, however,he hasn't bought the rims yet. I'm running 265\50r15 on 15x8 ralleys front and 295/50r15 on 15x10s ralleys rear on my 69 - it's tight - I'm partial to the phatter the better! I'd go with the 255 \ 275 (285) combo. just my opinion. Good luck~

Rat Touring 1969 Camaro X44 496 Richmond Super T10 Plus 4-Speed 3.55 4 wheel disc
..and sporting all new suspension, wheels, etc etc... take a look...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 04, 04:32 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
The largest 17" I have heard of fitting without any mod except maybe rolling or triming the rear fender lip is 275/40/17 on 17x9.5 with 5.5" back spacing. I believe disk brakes are the reason for rolling the fender lip. For this to work with zero rubbing I'm not convinced. I took the 275's off my '69 ragtop and replaced them with 255/45/17's.

For the front 245/45/17's and if you have a drop suspension you'll need to replace 2 of the inner fender bolts to run them. I went down a size to 235/45's and have no rubbing anywhere. Front wheels are 17x8 with 4.75 back spacing, go 4.5 for drum brakes. I have not heard of any success stories with larger without extensive mods...

The key to either of the sizes I mention is having the entire suspension in like new condition and everything on the car being better than factory specs. Just a 1/16" in the centering of the rear end will make a difference. Even body bushing and alignment of subframe will make a difference. Also how you use your car, I had 5 adults in mine at hot aug nights and often have 5 in it going to cruise nights. Also tools, suitcases and camara bags for over night trips stuffed in the trunk mean the suspension will work more and you might have tire rub even though with just a driver everything is fine...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 04, 07:34 PM
Senior Tech

Forgot to add one point - my setup has a 6" back spacing on the rear rims, and the shocks were moved to the inside of the rear springs. the BFG 295-50-15 are 26.6" in dia where the 275-40-17 GSC's are 25.7" in dia. I guess you could say it isn't stock - LOL - But DJD is right - all components should be new to really determine where you'll be with clearance. My 69 sits a bit higher and the suspension is way stiff. I also carry a full size spare, tools, and usually 1 extra adult - I can provide a pic if ya need. Nick
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 04, 11:00 AM
Senior Tech
Josh

I ran 275/40-15's in the rear with a stock height and it was just barely fine, the rims were 15x8 with 4" BS. I then lowered the car 1.5" and they rubbed, which was O.K. becuase I swapped to 17's in the sizes you stated with 4.75" BS on the fronts and 5" on the back (my axle is narrowed about 1.5"). I have 255's out back that fit fine...I think 275's would fit but just barely and no way with 285's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode