Will 15 x 8.5 Torque Thrusts fit on a 69 Camaro? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 04, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am thinking of mounting a set of Torque Thrusts onto my 69 Z28. Do I have to go 7" all around or will a set of 8.5's fit in the back wheel wells. If yes, what backset for these wheels?

Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 04, 04:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Didn't feel like searching and reading tonight, Graeme?

What rim diameter? That big in a 15 will hit the shocks in back. (see the post on "hotchkiss springs" just below.)

For the back, popular wisdom seems to be 5 - 5.5" bs.

In the front, space is tight, but again around 5".

I have 7" w/3 7/8" front, fit fine, 8 w/4 1/2" in back sticks out a lil, wouldn't work if car was lower.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 04, 05:58 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Hugger,

I have 275/60/15's on 8.5" TT D's out back. AFAIK, the rims are 3.75" of backspacing (I didn't buy them, they came on another project). The tire sticks out a little bit.

I am away from the car until thanksgiving so I can't get more info until then...

Here is the best pic I have, you can kinda see how they fit:

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 04, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Didn't feel like searching and reading tonight, Graeme?
I'm lmao here Jim. That was good!

No I guess I did not feel like searching tonight and thanks for that answer that I also didn't want to hear about. (lol) I guess I will fore-go the self torture and just order the 15 x 7 ones to work with my existing tires. I wanted a smidge wider but I'll live.

Thanks Jim.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 04, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Actually, I wonder if 15 x 8's will work with 4-3/4" backset and not hit the shocks. Maybe then I can fit some of the 10.5" x 26 cheater slicks in there? I need more than 8 inches of tire surface.

Thanks for that picture Billy!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 04, 06:10 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

No problem [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I just wish I had taken more shots of it.

Next wednesday I will take some more detailed shots if you want.

-Bill
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 04, 07:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Graeme, if I remember reading you got slapper bars on that beast of yours?

If you swap the bars side to side and mount the bottom of the shocks inside the springs, your 15x8's will be ok.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 04, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Jim,

Funny as that sounds, I was out there this morning looking at that very thing. I am adding sub frame connectors to it as well as this thing will surely launch good. Look at the other post under tires where I posted pictures of Randy's Centerlines. Those are 8.5's with 4-7/8" offset and they fit great with the stock shock mounts. I think I will try that and see how they fit as I have always liked the Auto Drag wheels. If they fit as they are, I will leave well enough alone. If not I will relocate the shocks to the inside to allow the 10.5" slicks. When I'm not driving it hard, I will then bolt the Torque Thrusts back on it with radials.

I like it!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 04, 01:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The post just below, madcow's 15" w/hotchkiss, he bought 15 by8 / 4 3/4" and they hit the shocks. I don't know for sure what wheels he bought, vintage rallye's, I think. Maybe ask him?Pretty sure it's a drum brake car.

The car with the centerlines looks good, close, but good. Is it disk or drum in the rear, that could be the difference, disk will move the wheels out another 1/4". Your disc, right?

Graeme, are you REALLY gonna drive it? At 94k, maybe just put it in your living room and rub it with a diaper once a month? I think my all ready large degree of respect for what you've done just tripled or so, can't wait to see a timeslip!

Can't wait to see it featured in CHP!

Jim

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 04, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Jim you sure know how to get me laughing. To be quite honest Jim, I'm gonna drive the S*** out of this car for as long as I have it. It was built to be my driver, and it will go cruisin, to regional car shows (driven if close enough) and will go to the drag track (5 mins from my house) on more than just a couple of occasions. Probably many Friday nights and the odd weekend event.

I am hoping for low 12's or high 11's with slicks and maybe a set of 488 gears. We'll see what it does first. May is coming quick. lol
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 04, 12:19 PM

hi i purchased A R tt2's for a 68 15x8 with 4.75 b/s and they hit the lower shock mount i do not know if the mounting point is higher on a 69 putting the shock mount inside the wheel?I believe that a 15x8.5 with 4.5 b/s will work on a 69 from some of the old posts i looked at it appears that you can run a liittle more rim and tire on a 69.sorry that i'am late on this post i just noticed the reference to my problem...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode