18&9.5 - 18&9 or 10 wheels - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

ive been looking for wheels for the last 2 months and all the wheels i find are 18-9 or 18-10 so if i go with 18-9 with a 275 tire is the backspacing still 5.5? do you think i can fit a 10 with out mods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 03:56 PM
Senior Tech

How much rubbing do you want to live with? All joking aside depends on serveral factors - the car for 1 - the tire size and series - disc brakes - ride height - how much weight will be in it. 275 is the max tire size and on lowered cars several people here had rubbing issues - on the inside. People have gone with 255 tires to stop it. On www.pro-touring.com under the 69 Camaros look at Rich Downing's car that has 18x10s with 5.75" backspace and 285/35-18s and he said they rubbed bad! On the inside - so much so he used a 1/4" spacer to create a 5.5" backspace to calm it down. His conclusion was "there is just not enough room in there for a 10" wheel". My point is you can get them on there but they will probably rub somewhere. Do you want to put up with it? I say go with the 18x9s but that's up to you. Good Luck - Jack

Jack
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 05, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

thanks jack i think you helped me make up my mind, im going 18-9 back 275/40/18 17-8 245/45/17
got drums all the way around but not for long, and want to lower it as low as posible, so you think 5.5 bs in the back is the best bet?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 05, 07:45 PM
Senior Tech

There is a couple of schools of thought on that. 1 is to go with the 5.5" backspace and if need be you can always use a 1/4" spacer to move the wheel out. Of course you can't move the wheel the other way. The other is that if 5.5" is good for a 9.5" wheel than 5.25" is good for a 9" wheel. Split the difference. I say check your car - both sides by the way - and make your choise. Better to error on the inside though because a spacer is always an option. Jon from Budnik wheels has a '69 Camaro and he has 18x8s in the front with 4.75 backspace and a 235/40-18 tire - in the rear he has 18x9s with 5.375 backspace and a 275/40-18 tire with no disc brakes. The car is low and he has NO clearence issues at all. He also has tried this combo on a car with Wilwood rear dics and had no clearence issues. You can see the car at www.budnik.com in the gallery - it's the blue '69 without the white stripes. Good Luck - Jack

Jack
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 05, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

really good info jack whats the best way to measure back spacing, i want to lower it too so i guess i got to get it right the first time
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 05, 04:16 AM
Senior Tech

Try this www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles and go to page 9 - next to last article on the bottom of the page - Fat On All 4s. I think you can get the answers to all your questions there. Just keep in mind that those 20s don't really fit and the Camaro in the article has narrowed control arms. The measuring and backspace info is good. Sorry I don't know how to link it. Hope that helps - Jack

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode