REar Tire sizes -- NO BACKSPACE QUESTIONS! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Spent countless hours reading the archives - here's where I'm at:

What to do in the rear! I am between a 255/50-17 (27") *OR* a 255/45-17 (26.1") for the rear tire size.

Anyone have pics, recommendations, etc? I've seen John's car, but how about some others? Fronts will be 235/45-17. Going conservative to prevent tire rubbing & I WON'T roll the lip - because this is a # match, 50K orig mile '68 RS Convertible. BUT 14" redlines on Rally's are only good for shows, NOT for anything else. I want to have a little driving fun!! THANKS!

'68 Camaro RS Convertible; 1964 Corvette Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 04:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Mine are 45's, 26.1" tall. rear is a lil higher than i'd like it, but I think the taller tires woulda looked better, click the link and judge for yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 05:59 PM
Senior Tech
Rob

I have 255/45-17 on the rear of my car and they rub on the inside just slightly when entering angled hill driveways and stuff. Not bad though. You can find them in the ads section here, as I want to get 275's. See the pic on my web page to see what they look like on the car. The front are 235.

Rob Rice

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 05, 03:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Mine don't rub (8", 4.5bs) but look like they could hit the outside edge if it were lower (drum brakes!)

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 05, 02:17 PM
Senior Tech
John

No Back space questions? But BS is critical!

Not sure if I'm the John you're referring to, but 7" up front is good w/ at least 4.5" bs and out back 4.75" bs will work with an 8" wheel. As I've said to others, you don't want rubbing, it's as bad as ticking lifters!

To answer your question, 255/45 or 255/50... measure from the center of your hub, straight up to the well lip. Post that dimension and I'll give you my opinion and explain why. So go out & measure your car as it sits now.

JD [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

'67 RS/SS 350
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 05, 11:52 PM

Put my new welds on yesterday.Rears are 8 inch witha 4.5 bs with a 275 60 15 t/a radial.The advertized height of that tire is 28 inches.Plenty of room on the inside Very close to the outer lip,will probably roll it.The fronts are 5 inch with a 205 75 15.I know your dealing with 17 wheels and tires but maybe this will help on the rear measurements.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 05, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

"No Back space questions? But BS is critical!"

Trust me, I understand -- spent weeks doing research on this site, Pro-touring, etc for BS. Didn't want to open another thread on BS after its been beaten to death!

I am waiting on getting the new rear end in with new springs, shocks, etc (parts are here - just need time) and I'll do 'final-final' measurments specific to my car.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 05, 02:39 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
RW, I made a cardboard cutout of the tire/wheel combo. size I wanted to do a "test fit" of sorts. Be sure to check both sides.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 05, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

I have 255/50r17's on the back of my 68 now (245/45's on the front), give me a day or two and I'll post some pictures. They fill out the wheels wells about right for the 67-68. -Dan
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 05, 07:16 PM
Senior Tech
Jack

Can anyone tell me how well the 275 60 15 Mickey Thompson ET Street radial, on 8" rally rims, fit on a 67 Camaro?

67 Camaro Street car 3300 lbs
Flat Top 406 70cc Edelbrock RPM Heads
Q-jet comp xe268s 2500 stall converter
T-350 12 Bolt Posi 373's Cal-Tracs
60' 1.69
330' 4.950
660' [email protected]
1320' [email protected]
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 05, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

68sixspeed -- did you get those wheels on? Any pics? Thanks!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 05, 10:46 AM

4 3/4 backspace on the rear of a 68 will hit or be way to close to lower shock mount.especially if you have converted to a three pack leaf spring from a mono THIS is with a 15 inch rim i do not know about 17's i would imagine that it would allow the shock mount to sit inside of the wheel thus allowing more b/s .As for 8" ralleys if they are corvette wheels they have a 4 on 4 off zero offset and you run the possibility of rubbing on the outside fender lip when loaded (not you the car). They also have that look of sticking out too far and not enough tire under the car I.M.O.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode