Bent Wheel, Can It Be Fixed? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 05, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

On my car i have a set of 17" boyd coddingtons and one of them is bent. I dont mean it has a bent lip, i mean it doesn't run true, has a slight side to side motion. Is ther anywhere that can fix this or do i have to buy another $300 wheel?

Thanks

Kyle

68 Super Sport
468, 11.5:1, AFR 305cc heads, Vic Jr, ProSystems 1000, 264/[email protected], TH-400, flashes to 4800, 3.73's.
60' 1.55 (gotta work on this)
1/8 [email protected]
1/4 [email protected] 132.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 05, 10:26 AM

How did it get bent?When your dealing with something bent remember every action has to have an equal but opposite action so the chances of making it straight again are slim and it also depends on how much runout there is,Stockton wheel company in calif might be able to fix it if its not too bad. good luck
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 05, 11:04 AM

Boyd's might offer a replacement for a reduced price. Call and talk to them.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 05, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Im not actually sure how it got bent! I didn't even know until i had it on a chasis dyno and a buddy saw it moving. The only time i could think of was when i accidentally did a 180 (road was wet) but i didn't hit the curb or anything. somebody told me that evey set of Boyds they had seen came with one rim with slight run out. i haven't heard anything like this but there are not very many people that run boyds here. i only know of one other set in town.

Thanks

Kyle

68 Super Sport
468, 11.5:1, AFR 305cc heads, Vic Jr, ProSystems 1000, 264/[email protected], TH-400, flashes to 4800, 3.73's.
1/8 [email protected]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 05, 01:01 PM

Another thing you need to check is the axle,make sure there is no runout there,while you have the wheel off take it a get it spun on a balance machine and see for yourself how bad it is,Then like sicsD8 said call boyd,or D-wayne,or boyds X somebody to get a new one.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 05, 02:16 PM

Unhappy

There is a fix-it aluminum wheel company out on thw web that advertises in our car mag's in the back where the little ad's are at.

I think it is like $100 or so to fix one.

Please look into it if you think it will cost more to go Boyds then to fix it..

And my son is in on an Eclipse wheel class action suit if not mistaken b/c he had two bent on his car and one so bad it wouldn't hold air!!

It's going to be interesting if he ever gets anything out of Mitsubishi(Sp?) over it..

And I have told him, time and time again, NOT to buy a car that isn't listed in the big "Consumer Report" mag's car issue b/c if it isn't brand new, they aren't reporting their problems to NHTSA right!!

pdq67

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 05, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I pulled the wheel off and it is the axle bent not the wheel! how can that happen? ive been wanting to go through and replace the axles and gears anyway.

Thanks for the help

Kyle

68 Super Sport
1/8 [email protected]
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 05, 01:03 PM

I figured thats what it was,its not hard to bend an axle.Atleast it wasn't a wheel an axle is better,and cheaper than a boyd wheel
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 05, 02:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Send a message via AIM to tony -Di
hi can a axle be straightened?????? just asking because i have one of mine is bent if it can be straightend ill pull it .but if it can't ill get one first and swap it out
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 05, 02:47 PM

It all depends on how bad its bent,but probably not by the time you pay machine shop prices to chuck it up in a lathe and check runout and then try to get it straight you could probably get a replacement swap it out in an hour or so and be done.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 05, 08:59 AM

Probably came that way from the factory seeing how Boyd spends most of his time raggin' at the guys in the hotrod shop instead of doin' QC!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode