POLISHING ALUMINUM WHEELS - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 05, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

I have a set of vintage torque thrust style wheels and the outer rim needs to be freshened up a bit. It has some staining and minor rash as wheels of age get when they are not taken care of. They appear to need to be sanded and polished. Anyone done this before and what is your technique? What grits paper did you use? What did you repaint the spokes with?

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 05, 06:38 PM

I did this last year. I started by stripping the old paint off the center spokes. I then put the rearend on jackstands and put it in drive, as the car idled I carefully sanded the outer parts of the rims. Depending on how bad each one was pitted I started with 80 grit and worked my way to 220 grit. I then used some aluminum polish to make them really look good. I then taped off to paint the spokes. Eastwood makes the corect original color for the spokes.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 05, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave
I just did this a couple weeks ago with a set I found at a pawn shop. I beadblasted them, the machined aluminum surface (rim)at a pretty low pressure (about 20psi). That removed all of the stains and light imperfections. Then followed up with a grey scotch brite pad, fine steel wool, then polish. I kinda like the look of the old wheels, so I didnt go crazy on the polish. Depending on whether or not the rim is machined, you can wet sand and polish aluminum, much like paint.

Email me if you want some pics or info. Not an expert on these really, but my results were good.

dave

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode