Torq Thrust D-another qwestion? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 05, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
kcs
Senior Tech
Kevin

This has been beating to death but I can't find pics of cars with Torq Thrust D's on them. If any of you have them, can you send me a link to pics please? I'm thinking of putting them on my 68 with the red line tires. Also, does anyone still use the 14 inch combo's? I have searched alot on here and it seems that everyone is running at least 15 inch or larger wheels. My qwestion is would the 14 inch wheels and tires rub? It appears after reading alot on here that the 15 inch setup rubs. Am I correct? Is there only one size combo that doesn't rub? Thanks to all for helping out on this subject!

kcs
68RS, 404 hp. 350, turbo 350 with 2600 stall, Dougs headers, 3:73 12 bolt
06 Nissan Altima SE-R, Auto, Code Red, All options!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 05, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
kcs
Senior Tech
Kevin

Wow.. No one is saying a word. It must be an old beating to death topic. Sorry, it won't happen again. I ask for total forgiveness?

kcs
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 05, 02:44 PM
Senior Tech

I don't think your 14s will rub at all. I have 15 rallyes on my car right now and they don't rub at all. I am making the jump to 17s all around and they should not rub either.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 05, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave
The only new torq thrusts you can buy in 14s are 6" wide w/ a 3 3/8 BS. I would really doubt that they would rub, but I cant say for sure.

I think the reason everyone runs the 15s is because they want wider than 6". The 15s come with a 3 3/4 BS, both 7" and 8.5" wide. A bit shallow of a BS. But I think you can get a custom size for extra $$. Its too bad they do that, because that BS doesnt seem to be a really good (or optimum) fit for much of anything.

The old Vette 15x8 rallyes are 4" BS, and you can run them all the way around on a 69, but any less will rub on the front.

dave

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 05, 05:55 PM

14 inch rims could rub too if you have the wrong Backspacing.I,am running 15 inch wheels on my car,it is a 68 camaro with 15x7 on the front with a 4 inch back space and a p225-60-15 b.f goodrich tire. On the rear i have a 15x8 with a 4 1/2" back space and a p255-60-15.I do not have a rub any where on the car.Even when people are in the back seat.Also my car is lowered in the front by two inches and the rear is 1 1/2" lower than stock.On the back space for the front wheels you could safely even go with a 4 1/4" b.s. The wheels are american torque thrust twos and are a special order backspace but it is also a backspace that is ordered frequently.so it does not take a long time to get them.They look great on the car, alas i do not have the capacity to post picture.17" rims really look great on these cars too but that is a different story when it comes to b/s,you can run a little more because the backside or inside of the rim will clear your lower shock mount-the shock will "ride inside of the rim" This is particularily important when dealing with a mono leaf car and a 14" or 15" rim because the shock mount sits lower and lower still if you run a three pack leaf in a mono leaf perch.in a multi leaf spring car the lower shock mount sits a little higher {i.e farther away from the rim}.I hope that this helps a little if you need more info and i'am on the computer i'll check at your post......Madcow Mike....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 05, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
kcs
Senior Tech
Kevin

Sounds to me like American Racing is catering too much to the newer look and styles with the wider, taller rim than to the 60's cars like ours. I don't understand why I would have to special order a rim that many camaro's and other musclecars had on them 30 years ago. I guess I may have to just order 14's. I just looked at their websight and they say that 15x7 with a 4 3/4 backspacing will work. Are they correct? Thanks too all!

kcs
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 05, 11:56 AM

yes most people like the wider and bigger look even in the 60's Of course the wheel maker is going to cater to this.as for american racing and the back space thing i would have to agree,it appears as if they are taking people deep when they charge you extra for a custom backspace rin that in my opinion should be a standard catalog item.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 05, 01:10 PM

Hey kcs!...I have a 68 camaro with 14"X7" American Racing 200S rims that look very close to the Torque Thrust D's. If you like I can send you a pic of my car. Email me at [email protected] and I'll reply with the pic.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 05, 06:01 PM
Tech Team
Art

Re: Torq Thrust D-another question?

I just received my 15" x7" Torq Trust D Chrome wheels and 15" Diamond Back Redline 500's. I had received mixed feedback that the standard 3.75 "backspace would work on my 67 with factory disc brakes. The forum members indicated that I'd need 4" or 4.25" while the various dealers I spoke with said that the standard back space would fit my needs.

Did a test fit with one rim over the weekend and the forum members appear to have been on the mark. A tip off was that the stock rally rims already had a 4.25" backspace. Next time I'll measure twice and cut once.

This would have been a sharp wheel and tire combination. I love the quality of the American Racing products and have a classic set of TT D set on my 67 Mustang. The early reviews are that obtaining a custom back space on the TT D chrome wheels will take a lot of time and I'm sure a bit more money. The TT 2 wheels have the correct back space but I'd like to stay old school with this car. I am starting to warm up to the 17" AR TT 2 look on first generation Camaros but this one is just too original.

Thinking of going the 15" Cragar SS route. By the way, the Diamond Back 500 Redline tires look awesome. What do you think?

1967 SS/RS 396/325 Red
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 05, 07:07 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

Re: Torq Thrust D-another qwestion?

If your looking for pics of cars with Torque Thrusts, click on my sig link and take a look.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 05, 07:12 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

Whoops sorry, just reread your posts and realized your looking for pictures of the D's, mine are T Thrust II's.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 05, 07:28 PM

Re: Torq Thrust D-another question?

The reason TT D's don't come with custom backspacings is they are a one-piece wheel. American Racing would have to make a complete new casting for every different size/backspacing,,,not very cost-effective or smart.
TT II's are two-piece wheels. This obviously allows the option of custom backspacing.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 05, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcs
I don't understand why I would have to special order a rim that many camaro's and other musclecars had on them 30 years ago.
That's nonsense. We did not have the wheel options thirty years ago we have now,,,not even close. Torq-Thrust D wheels were only available in a few backspacing numbers and what the wider stuff was made to fit,I'll never know. 15x10 with 3 7/8" backspacing??? What will that fit without jacking up the rear of the car into the clouds to clear a wheel & tire combo that would stick four inches out of the fender? Totally useless.
We live in exciting times,guys. You can fit huge rolling stock on our cars now that was only a dream just a decade ago,,much less thirty years ago.
I know,I lived through the musclecar era and drove a new 69 El Camino SS off the showroom floor. Owned a 69 Motion Performance copo 427 Nova,too.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 05, 07:40 PM

I had the Torq Thrust D's on my 67 Camaro rs. I had problems with tire rub. My mis-judgement though. With 3 3/4 bs and 15x8's - rear and 15x7 front, I pushed it a bit wide for a 3 3/4 bs. I tried to go with 235's and 245's. Yanked em off asap. Sold em to the first bidder on e-bay. Went with 15x7's with 4 1/8 bs Cragar SS's immediately. 225's and 235's. One huge problem...The front disc brake calipers hit the backsides. GOOD GRIEF! No where did Cragar specify a different app. for 67 Camaro with factory discs. I now run 14" GM rallys on 70 series BFG TA's. I love that nice clean factory look. Tried all the cool stuff and had problems. Went back to the factory look...and wow! If you send an e-mail address to me, I can give you a pic. I do not have a web page yet, would love to know how. Dan
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 05, 12:14 PM

I have Torque Thrust Ds on my '68 (15x7 front with 235/60 and 15x8.5 rear with 255/60) and have no problems with clearance. I get the slightest amount of rub up front if the wheels are turned and I really compress the suspension, but this happens very, very seldom. I have Eibach road race front springs with a 1" drop and road race rated leafs with about a 3/4" drop, so I'm a little confused as to how some people are experiencing clearance problems with factory ride height. The rear has no clearance problems whatsoever and the stance looks great. The car is inteded to mimic the classic SCCA Trans Am Camaros of the late 60's and the wheels really give it that appearance. The car gets lots of compliments. I'm actually considering selling the wheels to step up to 16" so I can get tires with a better compound as I do open track events with the car. If you think you may be interested, let me know and I can email you a picture of the car.

Thanks,
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode