REAR AXLE OFFSET - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 05, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

HELLO FRIENDS. I HAVE A PROBLEM! I BOUGHT A 68 A FEW MONTHS AGO & I AM SLOWLY GOING THROUGH IT CLEANING UP THE PREVIOUS OWNERS MESS. I AM NOW DOWN TO THE WHEELS & TIRES & GETTING RID OF THE AIR SHOCKS. I JUST ROLLED MY REAR FENDER LIPS TO CLEAR MY NEW 275/50/15'S ON 15X8'S & NOTICED THAT THE REAR AXLE IS OFFSET ABOUT AN INCH TO THE RIGHT!! WHAT THE HELL??? THIS CAR IS REALLY STRAIGHT & THE UNDERSIDE LOOKS GOOD AS WELL. UNLESS THIS THING WAS CRASHED & STRAIGHTENED, I DONT SEE HOW THIS COULD BE. ALL THE BODY GAPS ARE PRETTY GOOD BY THE WAY. IT LOOKS AS IF I COULD PUT A 295 UNDER THE LEFT SIDE & THE RIGHT SIDE SITS PERFECT W/O ROOM TO SPARE. ALSO THE LEFT TIRE RUBS ON THE INSIDE OF THE WHEELWELL WHEN THE SUSPENSION CYCLES UP. THE LEAF SPRING BUSHINGS ARE CRACKED BADLY BUT WHEN I SHAKE THE CAR SIDE TO SIDE IT LOOKS AS IF THE ONLY MOVEMENT COMES FROM THE TIRE SIDEWALL. ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS? PLEASE ADVIDE MY DUMB ***. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 05, 01:29 PM

Smile

Please take the "caps" off, b/c people call it Shouting!

Believe it or not, some of our cars are naturally "tweeked" from the factory, NEW!

My car "fingers" like a finger and a half from side to side at the rear and just a big finger at the front towards the pass. side!! I just "finger" it right at the tops of my wheelwell openings and tire tops....

Try it and you will see what I mean.. It sounds like a crude way of checking something but doing it will tell you how far she is off side to side easily/quickly...

It seems that way back then GM thought in some instances that +/- a half inch was fine!!

I got under my car AND eye-balled both rear front spring mount brackets as well as again, "fingered" the S/F alignment dowel hole checkers and my car is, (to me), pretty much right on the money, BUT still off slightly side to side!!

Not much help but I figure that's about the way it is....

The only other thing may be is that just maybe the rearend spring "nuts/tits" have jumped out of the lower spring plates and your rearend has slid sideways so check there too by looking up from the bottom at the hole in each lower mount to see if a nut/tit is still located in it, both sides...

I say nut/tit b/c a multi-leaf spring will have a nut and a mono-leaf spring will have a "tit" is all...

Not trying to talk crude here at all....

pdq67

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 05, 05:54 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: REAR AXLE OFFSET

I installed new rubber mounts to "re-square" the rearend... few months later had to redo when I installed new rearend and found out the rubber nipple that locates the rear was sheared off and allowed the axel to shift front to back (braking or driving). Just something else to check ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 05, 07:33 PM
Senior Tech

Re: REAR AXLE OFFSET

same thing here, you need to make sure that the nipple on the leaf spring, indexes itself in the shock plates, if it does not the axles will slide around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode