Rally wheel color - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 16, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Barry J

Garage
Rally wheel color

My rally wheels are currently black, but I want to go back to the original color. In the catalogs they list a "silver", a "grey" and a "grey with green tint".
Which one should I get?
Thanks
Barry

"Kids in backseats dont cause accidents.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..accidents in backseats cause kids!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 16, 12:58 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage
Re: Rally wheel color

What year car are they going on? I seem to remember 67 wheels being refered to as the grey with green tint and 68/69 wheels as argent silver. Wait for some other guys to reply and confirm/correct this info.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 16, 01:03 PM
Senior Tech
Al

The correct color is argent silver, not sure on the 67 being different, you can usually go to your local paint shop and have them make up a spray can for 10 to 15 bucks.

Mostly Camaros and FINALLY a Double Nickel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 16, 07:57 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Or you can by "Argent Silver" rattle can of Martin Senour spray paint off the shelf at NAPA: or mail order from Eastwood and most of the GM restoration parts house selling mail order on line. Your wheels are half painted correctly now as only the face of the wheel was painted silver, the back was painted semi-gloss black first and the silver overspray allowed through the wheel's slots.

The formula for the Argent Silver paint is in every automotive professional paint company's distributor place of business if you have a paint gun and a compressor and don't mind fixing and reducing the mix along with he rest of the fuss. Personally I use rattle cans all the time and I am very happy with the results (still wouldn't paint the car with them unless you count primer).

Big Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 16, 07:58 PM
Senior Tech
Jimmie-Retired

Unless you're doing a concours restorations, Krylon Dull Aluminum #1408 is for the man on a budget. You can only see the difference if the the two colors are side by side. Do Not get the silver wheel paint at your local O'Riley's or Autozone. It ain't even close.

I bought 2 cans of Krylon at a K-mart 6 or 8 yrs. ago for like $2.99 ea. Or you can go here if you want to spend about $24 for 2 plus probably $10 for freight. Your local automotive paint store can mix it in a rattle can for probably $15. I had my Hugger Orange paint mixed in rattle cans for my steel wheels.

Eastwood Silver/Argent Rally Wheel Paint

Jim's '69

68 SS 396 4 speed A/C Bought New Sold 1976
68 350/350 A/C Bought 1978 $700 Wrecked
69 350 4 Speed Bought 1988

Last edited by Fried Okra; Mar 14th, 16 at 08:12 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 16, 07:55 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

Hi Barry,
I see you are in Mass.
I know that Advanced Auto will custom mix paint and put it in a spray can for you.
I agree that cheapy spray paint is the way to go for wheels. That way if/when they get scratched, you can easily and inexpensively bring them back.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 16, 01:08 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried okra View Post
unless you're doing a concours restorations, krylon dull aluminum #1408 is for the man on a budget.
x2

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 16, 01:22 PM
Team Member
Jack

Per Jerry MacNeish... There is a perfect match in a Krylon spray paint, #1403, Dull Aluminum. This paint is right on the money. Highly recommended. Or, you can do it the hard way and have a paint supply shop mix it for you. Very $$$$$$$ and you’ll need a spray gun and compressor. The Krylon route is the way to go.

69 Z28 x77 Hugger Orange / Deluxe Houndstooth / M21 / 4:10 posi / Canadian Docs

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 16, 10:56 PM
Senior Tech
Jimmie-Retired

^^^ Jack is correct. The Krylon Dull Aluminum number is 1403. Not 1408 as I had posted. I had to go in the garage and check.

Jim's '69

68 SS 396 4 speed A/C Bought New Sold 1976
68 350/350 A/C Bought 1978 $700 Wrecked
69 350 4 Speed Bought 1988
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode