69 rally wheel fitment - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 16, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Robert

69 rally wheel fitment

So, I used the search function and read 15 pages with no definitive answer. I'm looking to replace the 17" rev wheels on my 69 with staggered rallies. Looking at aftermarket units, 5x6 or 7 on the front and 15x8 on the rear. Reading all the posts I just got more confused than anything. What will fit? What aftermarket wheels are hub centric?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 16, 05:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Re: 69 rally wheel fitment

Personally, I would prefer a GM wheel over aftermarket.

15x7 rally wheels are plentiful. The 69 wheel (YH) is very expensive. But, the FW wheel used on Chevelles and Monte Carlo during the 70's are still around. Very close to the same off set. I sold a set of 4 a couple years ago and only got $150 for the full set.

For the 15x8, you can use a 70's Corvette rally wheel. I believe they are coded AZ. They will cost a bit more, but still around.

I don't believe any of the aftermarket rally wheels are hub centric.

Lynn
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 16, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
Personally, I would prefer a GM wheel over aftermarket.

15x7 rally wheels are plentiful. The 69 wheel (YH) is very expensive. But, the FW wheel used on Chevelles and Monte Carlo during the 70's are still around. Very close to the same off set. I sold a set of 4 a couple years ago and only got $150 for the full set.

For the 15x8, you can use a 70's Corvette rally wheel. I believe they are coded AZ. They will cost a bit more, but still around.

I don't believe any of the aftermarket rally wheels are hub centric.
Unfortunately any factory rally is just about out of the question around here. I was looking at wheel vintiques 15x7 front with 4.25" backspace (same as the fw wheels I think) and 15x8 with a 4.5" backspace. Running 235/60 on the front and 255/60 on the rear.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 16, 08:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

GM RALLY WHEELS 15X7 4.25 BS

Chevy 15 X 8 Rally Wheels with Mickey Thompson Drag Slicks

Rally wheels

15x7 original Chevy rally wheels

Chevelle rally wheels

That is just the first five that popped up. You said you wanted hub centric. Wheel Vintiques are not. Some guys are OK with that. Others aren't. If you get aftermarket lug centric wheels, make sure you have them balanced on a machine that centers the wheels with the lugs, not the hub hole.

As stated, my preference is hub centric factory wheels.

Lynn
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 16, 10:39 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

AZ Vette wheels (15x8) are 4" backspace. 255's would be rubbing the wheel well lip, unless you plan on jacking it up, old skool.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 16, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Robert

I don't really want to shackle/air shock it that's why I was looking into aftermarket wheels with 4.5" backspace
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 16, 02:33 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

I hear ya.... I don't believe GM made a 15x8 Chev rally wheel with 4.5" bs. And, as Lynn mentioned, none of the aftermarket rally wheels are hub centric.

I had a pair of 15x8 WV for awhile and didn't have any problems. I'd suggest going that route if you're set on 15x8's. Summit carries them and shipping is free. Customer service is 2nd to none, imo.

The reason I went a different direction was I couldn't find a 3" Camaro style trim ring for the 15x8's. The 2.5" as used on 7" wheels just didn't look right, imo. Too much gap. Pretty much need to go to a Corvette style trim ring. But, I ended up going with chrome rally wheels, no trim rings needed !

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 16, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Robert

Thank you sir. What size tires did you run on the 15x8 WV?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 16, 02:58 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

255/60. In pic below you can see the trim ring gap using GM 2.5" rings. I put some aftermarket 3" rings on for awhile, but wasn't content with those either as they're not flash chromed like GM rings, and didn't have the "step" around the bead.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 16, 03:45 PM

Just put a set of Wheel Vintiques on my 69. 15x7s all the way around. 4in BS in front. 4.5in BS in back. 255/60s and 235/60s. Fit nicely with no rub.

Mono leaf if that makes any difference.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	145425  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 16, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Robert

Thanks gents. I pulled the trigger on a full set from WV 15x7 4.25 and 15x8 4.5.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 16, 01:02 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Cool ! Post some pics after the install.

My problem with trim rings was due to trying to match the NOS front trim rings I already had in a 3" ring for the rear. Maybe eventually I would found something, although I kinda doubt it. You'll be starting from scratch, getting all 4 rings at the same place (hopefully ) so it should work out better for you...

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 16, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech
Kumar

wheel vintiques makes pretty good reproduction wheels at a good price, the last ones I bought were only like $80 a piece, for a 69 Camaro, 15 x 7's in the front with 4" bs, and the rear, either 15 x 7 with 4.5" bs or 15 x 8 with a 5" bs works best

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...rder=Ascending

1969 RS/SS, rust free X-11 car, ZZ430 GMPP Crate Engine, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed Hurst Driveline conversion, Moser 12 bolt/3:73 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bigarmzz; Apr 21st, 16 at 11:42 AM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 16, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
Cool ! Post some pics after the install.

My problem with trim rings was due to trying to match the NOS front trim rings I already had in a 3" ring for the rear. Maybe eventually I would found something, although I kinda doubt it. You'll be starting from scratch, getting all 4 rings at the same place (hopefully ) so it should work out better for you...
Just a teaser while I wait on the rubber for the rears.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 16, 09:29 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

...like the tires as well. Where are you getting those ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode