Centerline Wheel Measurements - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 29th, 16, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Cody

Question Centerline Wheel Measurements

Does 8 1/2"x15" with 4 3/4" Backspace sound like a typical measurement of a Centerline wheel from the 1970's somebody would of had on their street/strip '69 Camaro? Centerline's website shows for the 8 1/2"x15" a PN for 4 7/8" Backspace.

I am restoring my Dad's old 1969 base model Camaro that he used to daily drive/race. I am keeping the Centerlines and am starting to look for tires for it while retaining the stock wheel wells and height.

Will I run in to problems running a 275/60/R15 tire (28" tall), or do I need something shorter like a 275/50/R15 (26" tall)?

Thanks for the help,
Cody

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 29th, 16, 10:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage
Yes, that was a size available and I believe still is now. I ran 275/60/15's on 10" wide Centerlines with 4-3/4" back space. I did have to roll the outer lip to clear and trim the bump stops on the rear subframe. With an 8-1/2" rim it will clear easier. Do a search on here and you should find a thread from Fred putting the same size tires on his '69.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 29th, 16, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Cody

Re: Centerline Wheel Measurements

Steve,

Thanks for the help. I will look for Fred's post, what is his username?

I was just curious since many of the 69's on here on a 275 tire run a 40 series, which I guess is just the safer route.

Thanks again,
Cody

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 29th, 16, 06:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

I have 15 x 8.5 with 4.5 back spacing. I installed Hoosier 275 60 15 drag slicks. They did not interfere with the car sitting still, but were so darn close, I was afraid to drive it. Just the slightest movement, and I would have rubbed the newly painted quarter. Still had clearance on the inside, bit it was also close. I chickened out and installed 255 60 15 in the rear. Good compromise. Fits well up under the wheel wells, and no rubbing going around corners. Sold the Hoosiers for a loss (lose a little on each deal and try to make up the diff with high volume).

The same size tire in another brand might have been OK. These tire size markings are not exact on width and aspect ratio. There is some variation from one brand to another, and even one model to another within the same brand.

Having said that, I cannot imagine that Steve actually ran 275's on a 10 inch centerline with 4 and 7/8 back spacing. That would leave 1 and 1/8 inches farther out for the outside of that rim than my 8.5 wheels. I just don't see how that wouldn't rub, even sitting still, even with rolled outer lip. Maybe rolling that outer lip gained that much space. Seem like a lot of rolling. Not calling Steve a liar by any means. Maybe the 275 he ran was that much smaller than my Hoosier tire. Or maybe it had a little more back spacing, or was in fact an 8.5. Memories fade.

Bottom line is: if you want to be safe, go 255 60 15 on that 8.5 wheel.

Lynn
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 16, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Cody

Bilodeau,

Thanks for the info. My old man "clearanced" the wheel wells a little bit at some point. I think I'll be able to squeak by with the 275's after a bit of research and measuring.

Thx,
Cody

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 16, 05:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

I think you are probably OK if there has been some work back there. My car had just been painted and I didn't want to take a chance of rubbing.

Good Luck.

Lynn
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 16, 05:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceager View Post
Steve,

Thanks for the help. I will look for Fred's post, what is his username?

I was just curious since many of the 69's on here on a 275 tire run a 40 series, which I guess is just the safer route.

Thanks again,
Cody
Been on vacation. Posted my first response from my phone. Not sure how to search with it. Fred Ficarra: https://www.camaros.net/forums/17-whe...-you-guys.html

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode