spare tire size for modified car - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 16, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

spare tire size for modified car

I have been looking for a spare tire for my car.

A friend of mine daughter’s car flooded and was totaled by the insurance company. I asked if I could have the spare tire out of the 2014 Camaro before the tow truck hauled it off. Her father told me that I could have it if I could get the trunk open. There is no trunk key lock on the new Camaros. I had to fold down the rear seat and crawl into the trunk via the back seat. On the deck lid, there is a release cable that will open the lid. The car was stinky and slimy. For some reason, I shut the deck lid before I removed the tire and I had to crawl back into the wet and dank car to reopen the lid.

Anyway, I will stop rambling now. I have a first generation F body with a Ford 9 inch rear end. It has a Detroit Truetrac limited slip differential. The bolt hole pattern of the axle matches the rim pattern. The center hole in the rim clears the axle register diameter (the 9+ logo).

I the rear disk brakes and the rotor and caliper appear to clear the inside of the spare tire rim.

The trouble with the spare tire is that it is too tall. About one inch too tall

The rear tire size is 315/30ZR18. They are 25.44 inches in diameter.
The front tire size is 255/35/ZR18. They are 25.03 inches in diameter and are the run flat style.
The spare tire is T155/70R18. It is 26.5 inches in diameter.

I think that one option would be to change the spare tire from the T155/70R18 to a T155/60R18. The 60 series tire is 25.3 inches in diameter. The 60 series is very close to being the same height as the rear tire.

My question is would the Detroit Truetrac engage and wear out the donut tire if I keep the too tall tire? Do you think the 60 series tire is close enough in size to get me down the road to a tire shop? Should I be looking at another option?

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 16, 08:31 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Re: spare tire size for modified car

Well... After reading all that. Here is my take. I(and you) have brandy new or fairly brandy new tires. I don't go on 3 hour tours. So... I have a tire plug kit and a small(cigar lighter plug in) compact compressor. I also have AAA and no spare tire. I am not sure about you but when is the last time you got a flat? I know that does not really answer the question. I guess as far as the question goes I would never ride with different size tires with any posi rear. Leave the spare home you'll never need it. Besides Camaro trunks are too small for spares, where would you put the chips and beer?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 16, 08:36 AM
John

Garage

I don't carry a spare in my Protour cars. You can get a tire close in diameter and it will not hurt the truetrac. The issue I find is getting a wheel that clears big brakes

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 16, 01:26 PM
Senior Tech
Lyle

Eventually it may cause some extra wear in the diff but as far as the posi knows you are just driving on a really big circle. For a few miles like a compact spare is intended I would not worry about it. I also would use some common sense and take it easy.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 16, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Thank you for the advice. I don't have a cell phone so I would not be able to call AAA. I could plug the tire on the side of the road if the sidewall is not damaged.

Do you really carry beer in the trunk? Seems to be an inconvenient location.

Patrick
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 16, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
I don't carry a spare in my Protour cars. You can get a tire close in diameter and it will not hurt the truetrac. The issue I find is getting a wheel that clears big brakes
That 18 inch Camaro donut spare tire seems to clear the Wilwood 14 inch rotor and 4 piston caliper. I am not absolutely positive since the brakes were not installed on the axle. Maybe if I install the brake assembly and tighten the lug nuts, something will rub.

My little car sure looked funny with a bicycle tire on one side and a steam roller tire on the other side.

Patrick
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 16, 01:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

You don't have a cell phone?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwolf View Post
You don't have a cell phone?
Trailer for sale or rent, rooms to let, fifty cents.
No phone, no pool, no pets, I ain't got no cigarettes.

My wife has a cellular telephone. All of her friends kept telling her she needed to start texting. So I gave in and she got rid of her flip phone for one that we cannot work. The monthly bill doubled in price. I don't like telephones.

My neighbors are from Wasilla. No, they are not the famous politician. They are selling their house in Texas and are moving back to Wasilla next month.

Patrick
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 06:24 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Yes beer in trunk, 800+ hp and beer do not mix. Get an el cheapo phone get AAA it has paid for itself in one towing
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 06:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

The thing about a dounut tires is , they are not meant for fast speeds or long distance, I hope you can drive less than 60 miles at what 50 mph?
I kept one rally wheel and tire for the long distance, Discount tire, is not every where. Just my 2˘

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 06:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

I know what u mean about phone bills. I hate monthly bills. Takes away from Camaro money. I had a flip phone till two years ago. But I can surf team Camaro any time on my phone now. Search you tube for questions on how to run that smart phone. I got a buddy moving back to Wasilla from Houston TX. He said the state was too small.
I wouldn't worry about an inch different tire size for a short trip on your rear end.
Good luck.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 06:43 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat View Post
Eventually it may cause some extra wear in the diff but as far as the posi knows you are just driving on a really big circle. For a few miles like a compact spare is intended I would not worry about it. I also would use some common sense and take it easy.
X2, couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_smith View Post
I don't have a cell phone ...
I can only dream of a cell phone free life.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
1967 R/T
1977 Power Wagon
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 06:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Do you qualify for an Obama phone, Trac Phone, Jitterbug phone?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 16, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockragtop View Post
Yes beer in trunk, 800+ hp and beer do not mix. Get an el cheapo phone get AAA it has paid for itself in one towing
Sorry, I did not mean to rile up your feathers abut the beer in the trunk. I meant it as a joke. Please forgive my stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
Do you qualify for an Obama phone, Trac Phone, Jitterbug phone?
That is funny. I am already paying for the Obama phones and so are you. The line item on your bill called "Universal Fee" pays for them. I don't know about Trac Phones. I have heard about Jitterbug phones. They have big buttons and a large display. I am still able to see good enough to tie a knot on a fish hook. I am ok without a phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwolf View Post
I know what u mean about phone bills. I hate monthly bills. Takes away from Camaro money. I had a flip phone till two years ago. But I can surf team Camaro any time on my phone now. Search you tube for questions on how to run that smart phone. I got a buddy moving back to Wasilla from Houston TX. He said the state was too small.
I wouldn't worry about an inch different tire size for a short trip on your rear end.
Good luck.
I wonder if my neighbor is your friend. He has two daughters that are married, one son that will start college in the fall, a wife and a yappy dog. His last name starts with the letter G. My neighbor plans to build a house on some land he bought in Wasilla.

Ok, back to the spare tire. If I change the tire to a 155/60r18 the height difference between it and my 315/30r18 tire is only 0.14". That little height difference might be like driving in a wide circle and the Truetrac might not engage. The spare will also fit on my Detroit Speed subframe front spindles. I am thinking donut tire might work as a spare if I change the tire. I still need to confirm the rim will truly clear the big rotors and calipers. I have learned that some people do not carry a spare. I guess that would be an option I never considered. If I decide to not carry a spare then I have to have someone ride with me that has a phone.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Patrick
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 16, 07:08 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_smith View Post
Sorry, I did not mean to rile up your feathers abut the beer in the trunk. I meant it as a joke. Please forgive my stupidity.
I knew it was a joke, no offense ever taken!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode