How much dia is too much - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 16, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Question How much dia is too much

I am a bit old school, maybe just old, and am looking to put some tall tires on my 67. I have minitubs in the car and will have a quadralink under it. My gauge set of tires is a pair of Autoflite L60's that I bought in the early 70's. ( they are not dry rotted and hold air. I am thinking about grinding them up and smoking them as an elixir when I am done with them). I like that tall look. The L's are a little under 28". I am thinking at the moment that my back wheel size will be 18". I am curious what the practical limit is in diameter on this setup. I am doing a little homework before I get it back.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 16, 08:29 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Re: How much dia is too much

Not sure what your car is set up like but the large diameter wheels leave a lot to be desired in comparison to the l60's. The l60's have big sidewalls with lots of flex. I run 275-60-15's (no tub). I think that is almost an l60 and the sidewall flex helps the car hook. Everyone likes the "hot wheels" look I am just not into it. For a protour it helps the handling but for straight line not so much. It just reminds me of an old 80's Crown Vic with 22's and a boom box.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 16, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Those 275's must be close. I can see where the L's rubbed a little. I wasn't jacked up for them. I think brake and tire choices are gonna force me into 18's. MT has 28 & 30 x 12. Nitto has 295/45/18. wish they were a little wider. Gotta get DOT's for that and don't want to go that way.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 16, 07:20 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

I'm and old guy too and I never thought I would like the bigger diameter wheels. I ran L60s on my 68 back in the 70s and never really wanted to try something different. Fast forward to 2010 and I got turned on to the Pro-Touring build style and today I'm running 18x10 275s on the front and 18x12 335s rear with mini-tubs and a Chassisworks G-Link rear suspension with a Moser 9" floater rear end. My overall tire dia is just a bit over 26". A lot depends on what kind of driving do you plan to do. Myself I do a lot of Autocross and track days and the short sidewall makes a big improvement in the way the car handles.

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you! Jeremy Clarkson

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 16, 07:46 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Well a lot of it is personal opinion. But can you imagine the radio traffic from the cop car as puts out a description of the dude driving this car ...

These are easy to spot as well:

Doubt if either of these moves under it's own power, and if it does it wil be a real problem calibrating the speedo ...

Mater of fact almost all of these builds are full size Chevys or mid size Olds Cutlas cars:

Though there was one 1970 Chevelle

Big Dave
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 16, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Ah Dave, I guess I set myself up for that one..... I guess what I will wind up with is driving rubber and track day rubber but that will be somewhat limited by the lack of a cage. ..... you musta missed the part about old school......

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 16, 07:15 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Sorry Steve I was just pulling your leg.

There are two schools of thought on suspension. Since neither excludes the other I favor using both if the rules allow it (tire size is restricted in some USAC and SCCA racing rules).

First is to put the biggest tire you can stuff under the car (I ran 14 inch tread Firestone compound W slicks out back and 5.60 15 VW tires up front on my 1968 Camaro that ran consistent 10.13 times back in 1970-'71 while drag racing). Tire compounds have improved immensely since than but that was the last time I ran an NHRA class). So there are tire sizes now that didn't even exist when I was racing in SCCA.

Second school of though is to make your chassis so strong that if you picked up one tire the whole vehicle would go up as a solid structure (as if it where a kids toy that had no suspension). you then worked on adjusting shocks and springs to match the course (required coil over shocks which is the best solution to any suspension application).

As to what is current in racing now I would consult Dave Pozzi and his wife Mary who are still racing.

Big Dave
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 16, 07:42 AM
John

Garage

Are you going for looks?, Straight Line performance?, Autocross?

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 16, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Hey John
Everything, I want it all. Really though the car will up as an overbuilt driver. I would like to put it on the strip once anyway. A bunch of guys I run with rent maple grove during a day one Friday every spring. In my wildest dreams I would be able to run it and get DQ'ed for going too fast in a non cage car. Prolly won't happen. I would also like to auto cross it on the same day I run my MR2 and run a better time in the camaro. That prolly won't happen either. 3rd goal is the power tour. Wife and I just need to survive long enough to make that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode