What spare wheel/tire will fit 13" C5 Brakes? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 16, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

What spare wheel/tire will fit 13" C5 Brakes?

I recently swapped out my OEM 11" front discs for 13" C5 discs and calipers. While I've not tried it, I'm sure my OEM 15" Ralley Wheel spare won't fit. I don't want to buy another matching 17" wheel and would just like an inexpensive spare wheel and tire that will fit (skinny dounut might even be preferable). For those of you that have upgraded your brakes to a larger disc, what did you do for a spare tire? I'd like to find something from a wrecking yard. Any guidance will be much appreciated.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 16, 08:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Re: What spare wheel/tire will fit 13" C5 Brakes?

This is one of those *issues* that arise when doing modifications to the original design (upgrading to 'big brakes'). Spare donuts from C4 Corvettes will 'work' but a lot (most?) people rely on 1) 'run flat' tires, 2) green slime, or 3) their 'phone' (to call a friend)..

Gary
69Z28-RS
Corvettes (5), Nomads (2), El Camino, etc
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 16, 10:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

04-06 GTO spares work. Thats what I have, hopefully haven't had to use it yet ;-).

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 16, 02:24 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
04-06 GTO spares work. Thats what I have, hopefully haven't had to use it yet ;-).
Did you test fit it? The center bore is too small on the ones I have and I had to open them up a little.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 16, 08:59 PM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage

If you use the 17" GTO spacesaver spare bolt pattern is 5x120mm and the C5/C6 conversion GM hub is 5x120.65mm. Some use hub centric ring & even drilling out the lug holes slightly while others don't take a chance with the .65mm differential . You're call on whether to use them or not.
If you're looking for a inexpensive rim, some older 18" BMW M Parallel 37 rims could work as well but has the 5x120mm bolt pattern again/ check the offset. Some use these for PT look that don't want to spend the hefty price with larger wheels.
Another last ditch option for myself ( since all my wheels are 18x8 what I could do in case I'm f#*ked) but will only work if you have drums on the back is to move one of the rear wheels to the front til I get to a tire shop and put my rally wheel spare on the rear. Open lug nuts sometimes are required cause of the longer studs.
Phew! Enough said I think I'll look for a single 18" wheel that will work as a spare and save myself the bull.........
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 16, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Sounding like it's back to the green slime option or call the flatbed. Although I do still have the rear drums, I don't think my 275-40 will work up front if I have to make any turns on the way home (highly likely). I have a fairly new 15" tire on the ralley wheel spare sized to match the rear tires in diameter so I wouldn't burn up my posi running it any distance. If I go with a 17 or 18 to fit the front, I'll need to buy a tire too. Man, this never ends does it? These things are really a money pit and carrying 2 spares is nuts. That green slime is sounding better and better, wonder what kind of mess that makes?

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 16, 06:12 AM
John

Garage

It's tire diameter that affects the posi not wheel size.

If you decide to carry a spare the GTO is probably the best option. Now you will also need to carry a jack and lug wrench.

Another option is to use run flat tires.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode