Another Tire/Wheel Question? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 16, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Another Tire/Wheel Question?

I am considering replacing my 15x8 Vette Wheels for Foose Knuckle F097 17x8 +1 for all 4. The question will I have fit issues in the front? I like the current tire size that fills the well but not too big, 245, 225, 60's, so what recommendation tire size for the 17's? Had those wheels since 84 so time to modernize. Suspension is stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 16, 05:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage
Re: Another Tire/Wheel Question?

A 50 series 17" tire would keep the diameter the same as a 60 series 15", but you might find more 17" tire options in a 45 series.

Are you wanting to go with a 225 front, 245 rear? Those should be very safe sizes with a +1 offset.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 16, 07:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Check out these older posts with respect to 17" wheel/tire recommendations:

https://www.camaros.net/forums/17-whe...ire-sizes.html

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 16, 08:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

These posts come up every once in a while and when the conversation turns to front bs its not often i see the question of disc or drum rotors raised. In the attached old post George says he hits on occasion. With a 4" bs and disc rotors ??? wouldnt you expect him to?

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 16, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Disc brake car. What does +1 mean on an 17x8 wheel. What is the recommendation as a bs for the front. I think my vette rallys are 4.5. I like the deep look.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 16, 05:25 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Camaro Guy View Post
Disc brake car. What does +1 mean on an 17x8 wheel. What is the recommendation as a bs for the front. I think my vette rallys are 4.5. I like the deep look.
+1 is the wheel offset in mm. This calculator will let you convert it to backspacing:

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 16, 05:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Camaro Guy View Post
+1 is almost exactly 4.5" bs on an 8" wheel.

The generally accepted rule is that a +6mm offset will put the wheel as close to dead center as possible. The further away from +6 in either direction you get the bigger the risk of rubbing, which is why people often have to run smaller tires. A higher offset (i.e. +12) moves the wheel closer to the subframe and a lower offset (i.e. +0) moves it out towards the fender.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 16, 06:34 AM
Senior Tech
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
+1 is almost exactly 4.5" bs on an 8" wheel.
True.

4.5" is centered on an 8" wheel.

+1 means it is .040" set towards the inside (1 mm = .040" )

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 16, 07:20 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Use this info to figure things out... https://www.rsracing.com/TechWheel.aspx

If your 15x8 fits as you like figure out the offset & backspacing and get 17x8 to match.

A factory 15x7 rally wheel (69 Z/28) has a 4.25 bs (+6 offset) and centers the wheel and tire between the inner and outer limits the tire has to fit in. A +6 on any other wheel width will do the same.

If you are trying to match tire dia to your 15's go to Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels and search tires by size and go to spec's to cross reference the 17" that matches.

What year is your Camaro? it makes a difference...

Plus 1 (+1) could mean 1" taller, just talking wheels a 17" is a +2 but with a tire mounted it could be a +1. I guess it could refer to offset but the difference in a 1/4" of backspacing is +-6 (see the chart on the linked page above)

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 16, 11:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Plus 1 (+1) could mean 1" taller, just talking wheels a 17" is a +2 but with a tire mounted it could be a +1. I guess it could refer to offset but the difference in a 1/4" of backspacing is +-6 (see the chart on the linked page above)
The original post stated that he was looking at "Foose Knuckle F097 17x8 +1". That should be enough to know that it's a +1mm offset wheel, and not referring to plus sizing a tire/wheel combo.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 16, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Thanks for all the info guys.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 16, 07:41 AM
Team Member
Darin

Just for more reference,
The rollers I used while assembling my car were 17"x 7" all the way around, with 4" back space. 245 40 on the front, 245 45 on the rear. Car is lowered 3" Front would rub at full lock.
Back were way too skinny (I have a 9" wheel now with a 275 35/18) but I liked the way the 245/45 side wall filled the wheel space.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode