Cut/Roll the lip or Replace wheels/tires - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 17, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dana

Cut/Roll the lip or Replace wheels/tires

I knew these were going to be tight but I think I've screwed myself. I'm trying to run a 9.5 x 18 5.25 bs wheel with a 275/40 18 tire on my 68. The widest part of the tire is 10 7/8", there is 3/4" clearance from the tire to the wheel tub and I thought it was just going to barely clear the lip of the quarter (11 3/4" from the lip of the quarter to the inside of the wheel tub) and I could roll or trim it if I needed more clearance. Now that I've got the wheels on they overhang the quarter lip by 3/4". I'm not sure why or how that's happening or what to do to fix it, Do you guys have any ideas? Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170205_131440.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	174386   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170205_131525.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	174394  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 17, 12:26 PM
Team Member
Don

Re: Cut/Roll the lip or Replace wheels/tires

I don't see how you can trim your way out of that one. Are both sides the same? Stock brakes? Did you measure the backspacing to confirm it is correct? Ideally I think it should have been 5.5" but it looks in the pic like .25 would not be enough.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 17, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dana

I just put a level across the tire, and from that point to the mounting surface is 5.5" so I'd say the bs of the wheel is 5.25 or damn close anyway. Even with 5.5 bs, it would drop the clearance to the wheel inner wheelhouse to 1/2 inch and I'd still be 1/2 inch too wide to clear that quarter panel lip.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 17, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

You could cut the opening and do a "wide body" treatment that the 1st gen racecars do or, minitub and get a narrowed rear.

Or, replace the wheels and tires. At least now you know what doesn't fit.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

black/black
no radio
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 02:35 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Tire should fit.
Your rear is off-set to one side, or you have the wrong back spacing, or not a 9.5" wheel, or not a stock rear ?

275/60/15 fits perfect, I tried a 285 and had slight rubbing issue on inner wheel well.
Your "plus sized" wheel falls in the same width/height, so I point to the above.

As above...how is the other side ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

Last edited by DOUG G; Feb 6th, 17 at 02:46 AM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 12:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

I run a 275/40/18 on an 18x9 w/5.25" BS and they fit fine. Something is definitely off with yours, since on an 18x9.5 w/5.25" bs you should only be 1/4" wider than mine. What rear end is in the car? What brand of tires? As above, how does the other side look?

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 02:11 PM
Team Member
Darin

275/35/18" here, all good.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 17, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dana

The tires are Nitto 555 g2, both the driver and the passenger side are the same, 3/4" overlap to that quarter panel lip. It's got a 8.5" 10 bolt rear, I'm not sure what it came out of but it has the same width as a stock rear for the 68. I'm working tonight, but tomorrow I'm going to upload pictures of how I measured and maybe you guys can tell me how I screwed this up. Thanks guys.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 17, 03:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiph View Post
The tires are Nitto 555 g2, both the driver and the passenger side are the same, 3/4" overlap to that quarter panel lip. It's got a 8.5" 10 bolt rear, I'm not sure what it came out of but it has the same width as a stock rear for the 68. I'm working tonight, but tomorrow I'm going to upload pictures of how I measured and maybe you guys can tell me how I screwed this up. Thanks guys.
Nitto's typically run narrower than other tires, mine are the first gen Nitto 555's, so they should be comparable to yours. Upload some pics when you get a chance. I think the rear end may be wider than stock? Or the backspacing on the wheel isn't what it says it is.

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 17, 05:14 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiph View Post

I think there is something off there as well. Are you positive that you have an 8.5" 10 bolt that is the same as a stock 68? I believe the 70 and up Camaro has a slightly wider rear end. If that is the case it would explain your situation. I have the exact same tires and 18x8's in the front and 18x9 in the rear with a 5" back space and mine fit fine on a 69.

My 69 Build thread :

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 17, 07:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

X3 - I had 295/50 tires on my car and they stuck out about the same as in your pic. B/S or wheelbase has to be off.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 17, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dana

Included are pictures of how I've measured the backspace of the wheel to confirm it's 5.25"

Total width of the tire is just below 11"

I measured the rear end width, it's difficult with the suspension in place but I ran the tape measure through here, wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface and I come up with just over 60"

the wheel well opening is just shy of 12"
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 17, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

FYI, I measured my wheel wells and came up with similar measurements.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 17, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dana

Thanks Arocars. At least now I know that measurement isn't way off. I guess I'll need to re order the wheels and tires but I'm not sure what the new wheel and tire sizes should be now. I definitely don't want to have another $800 screw up.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 17, 07:35 PM
John

Garage

You have to measure the bs with a straight edge on the wheel not the tire. Even at that the section with of 11+- on a correct BS wheel should be ok. Are you sure the wheel is 9.5 bead to bead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode