wheel and tire size - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 17, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

wheel and tire size

I know and have searched the threads. Some with good info and some with not so good info. But mostly all old info.

I am looking at replacing the wheels and tires on my 69. I would like to see lowered cars with 15 inch wheels. I am not real big on the 17 inch and up wheels. I do like the way 16 inch wheels look but are limited in the tire department. So I may just end up with 15 inch but wanted to see some others wheel and tire size. I am thinking of TT2s because of cost. I really like Andrew69's car looks. And I may still go with 16 if I could find decent set of tires.

So lets see some lowered cars with 15 inch wheels.

Any help would be great. Thoughts and opinions are always welcome.

Thanks, Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 17, 05:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Re: wheel and tire size

Thank you.

They are:

Front 16 x 7 w/ 4" backspace 225/55 tires
Rear 16 x 8 w/ 4-3/4 backspace 255/50 tires

About the only tires availabe are the BF Goodrich directional tread. I am sure there are better tires out there but the BFG are okay by me.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 17, 06:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Brian, 16" and 17" will work on your car, it all depends on your tires as wheels are the center of any tire and when you select tires, they are built to fit the wheel sizes.

I run 245 x 16 x 50 in front with 255 x 17 x 45 in rear. As Andrew said, your best selection of tires are going to be BFG Sport Comp directional .

Your wheel back spacing on a 69 maybe limited as in stock for most 4.25 backspace is common. The same backspacing applies to the rear unless , you have a different rear end than stock. I have 3.5 back spacing on a Moser rear end.

When you look at different wheels , the aspect or height is normally the same. The tire height from the tire bead to top of thread will change as in my rear tires , the height is 4.5" and front are 5.0" These low profile tires can be rougher riding .

My stock ralleys are 245 x 60 x 15. I run BFG Sport Comp on all my rims.

Confusing ?
57vette likes this.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
Brian, 16" and 17" will work on your car, it all depends on your tires as wheels are the center of any tire and when you select tires, they are built to fit the wheel sizes.

I run 245 x 16 x 50 in front with 255 x 17 x 45 in rear. As Andrew said, your best selection of tires are going to be BFG Sport Comp directional .

Your wheel back spacing on a 69 maybe limited as in stock for most 4.25 backspace is common. The same backspacing applies to the rear unless , you have a different rear end than stock. I have 3.5 back spacing on a Moser rear end.

When you look at different wheels , the aspect or height is normally the same. The tire height from the tire bead to top of thread will change as in my rear tires , the height is 4.5" and front are 5.0" These low profile tires can be rougher riding .

My stock ralleys are 245 x 60 x 15. I run BFG Sport Comp on all my rims.

Confusing ?
Haha! Actually chuckled at that. Yes a little confusing. But I understand what you're saying. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
Thank you.

They are:

Front 16 x 7 w/ 4" backspace 225/55 tires
Rear 16 x 8 w/ 4-3/4 backspace 255/50 tires

About the only tires availabe are the BF Goodrich directional tread. I am sure there are better tires out there but the BFG are okay by me.
Thanks for reply with specs. Right now my suspension is stock with the rear a little loafed out than the front. I really like the way yours sits. To me it's a nice balance between 15 and 17 inch wheels. What did you do with yours in regards to lowering? Shocks moved inboard? I'm also concerned with being able to see my drums more. They aren't that nice to look at.

Thanks guys!

Brian

Last edited by 70K10; Mar 9th, 17 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Grammar error!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 07:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70K10 View Post
Haha! Actually chuckled at that. Yes a little confusing. But I understand what you're saying. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Thanks for reply with specs. Right now my suspension is stock with the rear a little loafed out than the front. I really like the way yours sits. To me it's a nice balance between 15 and 17 inch wheels. What did you do with yours in regards to lowering? Shocks moved inboard? I'm also concerned with being able to see my drums more. They aren't that nice to look at.

Thanks guys!

Brian
Cut 1/2 coil off 500# springs and removed one leaf out of 5 in rear. Shocks remained in position. I converted to rear discs.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 09:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Brian
Here is a different look but for the Front, I installed the Hotchkis 2" Drop Springs.

15 x 8", 4 1/4 BS and E70-15 Tires.
They are comparable to 205/70-15.

Had to remove 2 Fender Well Bolts, No rubbing on the Front.
Timmy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Camaro Downtown Bridgeport Cruise 10 11 2015.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	177433  

1969 SS/RS Coupe 427BB 700R4 12 Bolt 4:11 A/C, High School Resto Mod

November 1968 Build Date
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 10:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Elroy

Rears are 275-60/15 on 15x8, fronts are 235-60/15 on 15x7. Back spacing is 4.5" Using lowered springs and blocks in rear and lowered spindles and coils in front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0185.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	177442  
57vette likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 01:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

What did you do with yours in regards to lowering?
Hotchkis 2" drop springs in the front.
DSE 3" drop 4-leaf springs in the rear.
Koni Classic shocks all 4 corners.

Note: The photos you see when clicking the link below were an earlier set of de-arched rear 4-leaf springs. The DSE units actually raised the rear about an inch from where it was sitting.

Shocks moved inboard?
No changes to shock locations. The wheel and tire sizes noted above will fit and they are 26" diameter. I did replace the top front fender well bolt with a button head bolt because the front tires would occasionally catch it.
57vette likes this.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by french69ssrs View Post
Brian
Here is a different look but for the Front, I installed the Hotchkis 2" Drop Springs.

15 x 8", 4 1/4 BS and E70-15 Tires.
They are comparable to 205/70-15.

Had to remove 2 Fender Well Bolts, No rubbing on the Front.

Timmy
That look sway cool. My son would love that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbudman View Post
Rears are 275-60/15 on 15x8, fronts are 235-60/15 on 15x7. Back spacing is 4.5" Using lowered springs and blocks in rear and lowered spindles and coils in front.
Man that's what I have always wanted, but Draglites are out of the budget. That look is killer though. Any rubbing issues anywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
What did you do with yours in regards to lowering?
Hotchkis 2" drop springs in the front.
DSE 3" drop 4-leaf springs in the rear.
Koni Classic shocks all 4 corners.

Note: The photos you see when clicking the link below were an earlier set of de-arched rear 4-leaf springs. The DSE units actually raised the rear about an inch from where it was sitting.

Shocks moved inboard?
No changes to shock locations. The wheel and tire sizes noted above will fit and they are 26" diameter. I did replace the top front fender well bolt with a button head bolt because the front tires would occasionally catch it.
Thanks for the specs. I have been dealing with what wheels and tires for a long time and I can't make a decision to save my life. I thought I had it but then I see someone else's and changes everything. They all look great.

What I do know is that I want to lower it 2" in the front with springs. Eventually lower it 1.5 in the rear and adjust with a block after that if needed. I don't want it super low. Just lower with a very slight rake if any.

Again thanks for input. Brian
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 04:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dom

Garage

Here are pictures of the current stance of my Camaro. I have never had any issues rubbing or otherwise however I plan to change the stance this year. In my opinion it is just too low. The plan is to install new Moog coil springs (I think 6308's), new Monroe shocks and replacing rear multi-leaf springs from Heartbeat city (OEM).

Current setup:
1-1/2" Drop (coil springs cut)
BF Goodrich Radial TA's.
Front 225/60/15 - Rear 235/60/15

Header collector flange measurement: 3-1/4" from the ground to flange.
Front fender wheel well molding measurement: 24" from ground to molding.
Front spoiler height: 6-1/2" from ground to spoiler.

I want to raise it at least 1-1/2" This would be more of the factory original height. Even though I like the look I am just not comfortable with how low it sits and am always worried about damaging something. Need peace of mind when I'm driving.

Last edited by 68Tiger; May 7th, 17 at 05:16 PM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 05:11 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Mine has 275-60 15's on back 8" rims 4.5 setback.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/3109465-post44.html

I can never get my pictures without trying to figure out where on line they are but here is a link to an old post.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 17, 05:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
David

I have a 1968 RS/SS all factory height suspension. I bought some Keystone Klassic rims 15x6 in the front 3.375 inch B/S and 15x8 with a 3.875 inch B/S. I need tires that don't rub when I have people in the back seat or turn corners. I like the wide look. Any help would be appreciated because it is overwhelming.

1968 RS/SS 396 owned since High School
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 17, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

To lower the front, I replace the original spring with one lower. For example my BB AC car has SB AC springs. Sits like a 2" drop. Installed 1.5 lowering blocks on multi leafs. That car has 17 x 8 x4.5BS. all around. BFG 235/45 front and 255/45 rear with Foose Knuckle wheels. Another sits stock, they sit low when stock, most restored sit too high. On that one I have Vette rallys 15" 245/60 and 235/60 25.5"to the top of the wheel lip and the other 24" on the front.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 17, 06:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

try this site. type in any tire/wheel size backspacing etc and it will tell you if it will work and how much clearance you have

Custom wheels, rim tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 17, 11:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Brian...

Here's a couple pictures of my '69 as it sat before this week. The front is lowered via 2" Hotchkis springs, the rear is simply tired old monoleafs LOL.

Rear tires are 255/60R15 on 8" rims and those tires are 27" in diameter and just about 10-1/4" width. IIRC, the road to wheel well measurement was 27-3/4" for the rear. I have no rubbing while driving except when I sharply enter my steep driveway making a left turn. All I get is a peep and then nothing.

Front tires are 215/70R15 on 6" rims. I don't (unfortunately) have ground to wheel well trim measurement on the fronts. But as tall as those tires are (26.9") ... no rubbing at all up front.

This setup is basically my temporary one, but I like the combo. My goal is to someday move to a larger wheel, but I'm on the fence as to what size/style. I think if there were 16" wheels that I liked... I'd be happy to only bump it 1" as I like a little sidewall... I think it give a better ride than an ultra low profile. That being said, I think a 50 series 17" might be OK too. Right now the car is in the midst of getting a full front end makeover with tubular control arms, Wilwood calipers, CCP rotors, a JGC Steering box, and ProForged suspension components including tall upper & regular lower ball joints. Hope to be back on the road next week. Rear suspension is going to get done down the line.

I wish more guys would post up pictures of their cars because I'd like to see how different cars look with different suspension mods and different wheels.-Mike
rsb0719 likes this.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode