Another Tire Rub Issue 68 Convertible - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Dave

Another Tire Rub Issue 68 Convertible

I have a 68 Cvt with original 327/PG trans running 16x8 Vintage wheel Works wheels with 4.5 back spacing. They worked great until I installed a Right Stuff Detailing Disk Brake kit With 2" lowering spindles using stock springs. The shop that did the work assured me this was the proper way to lower the car.It moved the wheels out far enough that they now rub the outer fender lip on every dip in the road. Jegs site showed this kit should work on my car, but it clearly doesn't.
There isn't much room on the inside either; only about 3/4 " clearance from the tie rod. Any suggestions? If I was able to add some negative camber how much will it move the top of the tire inward? Is that even possible with stock control arms? Any help would be appreciated. Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 08:51 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Another Tire Rub Issue 68 Convertible

Most drop spindles cause the issues you are experiencing.
One way you could go is to plus size the tire/wheel combo (16-18's ?) or another way would be a narrower tire/wheel combo.

For future help to someone looking to lower their car, could you post the Make, Model, and Part number of the kit you used ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Dave

Kit was actually bought from Summit (not Jegs), Right Stuff Detailing afxdc32dzx. Wheels are Vintage Wheel Works 16x8, 4.5" backspace using Firestone Wide Oval 225/50/16 tires.Maybe I should have used stock spindles and then cut the springs? I like the look with the drop spindles; the ride height is exactly what I was looking for, but the rubbing makes the car undrivable.I'm very disappointed and don't want to spend a fortune buying different size wheels/tires until I find one that will fit.Not sure what to do at this point.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 17, 12:24 AM
Apprentice
Pasi

Hello!

I have had QA1 in all corners for about 10 years and been very happy with them in my -67 Camaro. I have the QA1 front pro coil system which is a bolt-on coil-over system. Back in the day when I ordered the front kit it only had two options for the conical springs, big block or small block (front weight).
Nowadays the front kit has 9 spring rate options and 4 shock options.
I have stock spindles and stock A-arms and have just lowered the ride height by turning the coil-over spring seat adjuster nut and setting the wheel alignment accordingly.
The only thing I've noticed about the QA1 coil-over system is that the springs settle for quite some time until the ride height doesn't drop anymore

BR,
Pasi
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 17, 05:09 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I would say your choice is either coil-overs or spring spacers (ones that go under spring not in) to raise the front some for clearance which may be cheaper/easier than wheels/tire combo trial and error.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode