Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 17, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Daniel

Garage
Rally wheels for Switzerland

Hi
I just bought a 67 Camaro Convertible RS/SS with disc brakes at the front.
The car is in Los Angeles and I'm living in Switzerland. Actually the car has after market rims which are not allowed here in Switzerland. So, I have to change the rims and wheels.
My plan is to buy a rally wheel kit from Rick's for disc brakes and dimension is 15x7.
Now, I'm looking for radial red lines. Important for me are the speed index which must be "H". I hope to find P235/60R15 radial red lines. But this seems to be difficult, especially for "H". I only found this one:
https://www.cokertire.com/american-c...-redlines.html
Dimension: 215/60R15
Very slim...
Important is that the speedometer is correct with the new tires.
Has anyone any idea where I can find such tires in the US and is my thinking correct with the dimension ?

Daniel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1967 Convertible RS/SS 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 17, 06:24 AM
Team Member
Don

Re: Rally wheels for Switzerland

Congratulations on finding a car.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 17, 07:15 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

I think Coker is the only one reproducing redline tires, so you're stuck with the sizes they list. There's a 225 and 235 in the 70 series. Or you could always make your own.

Kevin

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 17, 01:51 PM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage

Sometimes when cars have big rims its because of big brakes, maybe check the brake rotor diameter first. 12" I believe is the largest you can go with on ralleys.
What about these?https://www.cokertire.com/tires/styl...l-redline.html
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Daniel

Garage

Thank you Don

Kevin
good idea, maybe this could be a solution.

Simon
Thank you for the link, but these have only a speed index of "S". This is not high enough unfortunately. I need "H"

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 02:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

That's amazing that you can't have aftermarket wheels there. Do you mean wheels that look aftermarket, or do you have to prove that they are not aftermarket? The 16" wheels I listed below are aftermarket, although they look like period wheels as they are Rally Wheels. Only H rated I found was a 16" tire. You could put these on the rear? I think you can find 16" Rally wheels (although they might be aftermarket)

235/60R-16 H Rated RedLine

Then here are some 15" tires, but they are 70's
235/70R-15

16" Rally Wheel

Brett.....

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue

Last edited by Brettallen59; Jun 18th, 17 at 02:33 AM. Reason: added text
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 02:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

I think it's so cool that you live in Switzerland and you bought a Camaro in Cali. Obviously you haven't driven it or seen it in person. I really hope it's all you want in your new ride. How long will it be until you get to lay eyes on it? Can you post some pics of it? What kind of plans do you have for it? You gonna put ski racks on the deck lid and cruise to the Alps with the top down? haha. After re-reading your post, if you can't find your correct tire, you can always change out the speedo gear with not a lot of effort.

Brett....

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 08:17 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

If you can live without the redline Pirelli makes a "W" rated (168mph) P600 in 235/60/15...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 08:45 AM
John

Garage

Can you use reproduction Rally wheels or do they have to be original GM wheels?

I would think changing to the needed wheels and tire before the car ships would be the best way to go.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Daniel

Garage

Thanks for the answers.
Well, I can use a reproduction Rally wheel, this is OK. But the dimension must be as original. We have very strict rules for this here. The car must be as he was in 1967. Of course I can use new parts, but they must be the same as the original. Everywhere on the car.

Yes, the best is, I buy it in US. Much easier and cheaper as well.
And, yes, I like the red lines very much, so it's a must. Looks original and for a black car with a red interior is it perfect.

Well, to buy a car without seeing is not a good idea. Too much risk... But, no risk no fun...
Well, I organized a PPI and the result was good. It's always a question of price and to find such a car here in Switzerland is difficult and then expensive.
Now I have to wait around 5 weeks until the container will arrive my country. It's a long time.
And then I hope to drive the car before the snow is coming. During winter time a classic car stays in a heated garage. So, no skiing with a Camaro ;-) But driving at the alps during summer time is fantastic.

I think I have to ordere these Rally Kit:
Camaro Rally Wheel Kit, 15 X 7, Complete, For Cars With Disc Brakes, 1967
And these tires:
https://www.cokertire.com/american-c...-redlines.html
Dimension: 215/60R15

Should be ok?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 01:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

You know, I think you will be okay. At least you will get it like the original. Then, later, when you find a better, bigger tire for the rear, you can upgrade. Make sure to post pics when you get it!

Brett....

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 04:34 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Original in 67 would be 14". Correct? Unless a Z28.

67 RS/SS 350 4sp.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 17, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Daniel

Garage

Yes, Joe, but the 15" for the Z28 was available at that time. Together with disc brake they will accept 15". Should be no problem.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 17, 05:37 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

True 67 and 68 front disc brake rally rims have a unique offset.

Although the convertible you bought MIGHT have come from the factory with (1967 J52) front disc brakes, chances are it has aftermarket brakes of the sliding caliper design (ala 1969 J52) and takes a regular "drum" style offset.

And as was mentioned earlier, some aftermarket large rotor brakes don't fit inside factory 15x7 (FW style) rally rims.

Does the convertible have factory (J52) front disc brakes, aftermarket sliding caliper or a rotor size that will fit inside a factory 15x7 rim?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode