American Racing Billet Wheelz - To do or not to do - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 17, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
ANTHONY

Smile American Racing Billet Wheelz - To do or not to do

My 1967 Camaro SS is m new pride and joy. I am trying to get new tires and wheelz for it. I found a wheel that I fell in love with - American Racing Billet wheel - VN327.

I took it to a chain establishment (Discount Tire) and I felt that the managers knowledge was outstanding. He knew what he was talking about and I felt very comfortable with his approach. It seemed that he crossed all of his t's and dotted all of his I's. I took it there today so that he could measure my car. He took off both wheels from the right side. He said that my current wheel is a 16 x 8 with a -6 offset.

He recommended the 18 x 8 for the rear and 18 x 7 for the front. I informed him that I did not want the wheel/tire to protrude outside the fender. I am all about the rake/stance. I don't care about anything else. Oh and I don't want it to rub at all . I don't plan on tubbing the rear end. My paint and body is done, I simply want some sick wheels.

The tires that he recommended were 255 40 18 - Rear
225 40 18 - Front

Here is my issue: He didn't measure anything within my wheel area. Not a tape measure - nothing. He was not worried about the new wheel hitting anything. He just said that based on what was on the car, what I wanted to upgrade to would not be an issue. He also relied on his company's software to tell him what was valid.

I've read about offsets till I'm blue in the face and I simply do not get it. I spent an hour with this guy today and I just got more and more confused as far as how he was calculating the wheels and tires. No more youtube videos on how to measure. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, however, I do not understand the whole measuring concept. Before I spend almost $3000 should I be a bit worried. I have not ordered them yet. Please advise

Anthony
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 17, 07:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Try this site
Put stock wheel info on left
Put new info on right and it will tell you if it fits and how much it will stick out

http://www.rimsntires.com/packages.jsp
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 17, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
ANTHONY

Re: American Racing Billet Wheelz - To do or not to do

thx Steven, I will check it out

Anthony
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 17, 07:55 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Are able to get the backspace specs for the wheels and post them? This is a critical measurement. For your set up, you should be somewhere around 4.25" up front and 4.5" in the rear. Keep in mind also, the bigger the wheel the shorter the sidewall (profile). An 18" 40 series tire will give you a fairly harsh ride; okay if you prefer performance over comfort.

Here is a pic showing the backspace. It is measured from the inside of the hub to the inside bead. More backspace pushes the wheel/tire further into the wheel well.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 17, 09:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Also do a wheel and tire package search for your vehicle and choose staggered option. It will give you rim and tire set ups that will fit
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 17, 10:44 PM
Team Member
Darin

That sounds like a conservative set up. I'm running 275 35 18 in back, 235 40 18 front 3" drop and no rubbing issues.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 17, 06:43 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

You can use this calculator to find the diameter and width of your current 16" tires and compare them to the 18" tires. It will give you some idea of how the new tires will fit based on what you have now.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 17, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
ANTHONY

VN327P880XX 18" x 8" Blank offset -12mm to 58mm TWO-PIECE POLISHED

it did not list the back spacing info

Anthony
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 17, 08:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

What are the offsets of the wheels he is recommending? (the rear, and the front). Once he gives you those, you can plug them into this chart and find the backspacing.

WHAT IS WHEEL OFFSET?

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode