• 2 Post By 67Rally
  • 1 Post By The Camaro Guy
  • 2 Post By 67Rally

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 17, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
Ken Hunter

offset wheels

hi I have a 68 Camaro project, have read the forums and maybe I'm missing it but want to know off set for rims and with the 4 wheel disc conversion kit I'm installing I have to go with at least a 17 inch wheel but don't want to ride like a wagon, also want deep dish on rear and as wide of tires as I can get, it is not tubed and disc conversion front will prob. drop 2 " and (custom springs) on rear.i would like low fat pro touring look. assistance would greatly be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 17, 08:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage
Re: offset wheels

+6mm offset
130fe and dhutton like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 17, 06:19 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

As Dan Short of Fantomworks said, "never design your car around the wheels and tires".
Having said that I would do your brake and suspension changes, then decide on your wheels. My latest 69, frame off restoration, got new tires and wheels after 2 years of rallys. I decided on 17x8 on all 4 wheels with a 4.25 backspace. 225x45 and 245x45 BFG tires. Has a deep dish look and not out of proportion with a nice width tire. Car is lowered 2". I have no issues with tire rub and did not have to make any adjustments due to tire/wheel issues. Received many comment at the charlotte autofair as well. Now I realize there are many opinions and options. As far as ride, the best of my 4 69's is my all original with 55k miles and those 14x7 rallys with 215x70 BFG RWL and stock springs and shocks!!!!Just an old guy talkin.
onefiness likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 17, 08:55 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Start with the 5 sticky threads at the top of this forum (Wheel & Tire)

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 17, 03:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

^^^ What he said. You have to know the width of the rim before any offsets or backspacing make sense.

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 17, 04:17 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangeMD View Post
^^^ What he said. You have to know the width of the rim before any offsets or backspacing make sense.
I think offset remains +6mm regardless of wheel width as noted above. Backspacing varies with wheel width per the fixed 6mm offset. This keeps the wheel centered in the opening.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 17, 05:40 PM
John

Garage

Offset is where the hub mounting surface is relative to the center of the wheel.

For most of us backspace is easier to work with.

For example w 10" wheel with + 6mm offset will have a BS off approx .50 more then a 9" with the same offset

To achieve the correct backspace you need to start with the tire. The tire section width need to be located within the wheel opening to yield desired clearance. Then backspace can be determined to place the wheel/tire in the correct location.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 06:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
I think offset remains +6mm regardless of wheel width as noted above. Backspacing varies with wheel width per the fixed 6mm offset. This keeps the wheel centered in the opening.

Don
True. But not all widths will fit, so you would need to know how wide the rim he is looking at is.

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 09:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangeMD View Post
True. But not all widths will fit, so you would need to know how wide the rim he is looking at is.
But if the wheel width won't fit, then it doesn't really matter what the backspacing or offset is.

+6mm wheel will give you the best chance of fitting on the front and rear as long as you don't have a narrowed rear end, or aftermarket brakes that change the track width.

+6mm will leave an equal amount of room inside and out for the tire/wheel combo, regardless of wheel width. A +6mm 7" wheel will have 4.25" backspacing, a +6mm 8" wheel will have 4.75" bs, a +6mm 9" wheel will have 5.25" bs, etc. So the backspacing number changes as you change width, but the +6mm offset is a constant.

If it's easier for people to work with backspacing, that's fine. But if you know the necessary offset, it will apply to any wheel width that will fit under your car.
DjD and dhutton like this.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 11:17 AM
John

Garage

With a straight edge on the wheel mounting surface you can measure to determine backspace required for clearance. Wheel off jack stand under axle tube.

Then find the tire section width to determine how much the tire will bulge out past the wheel.

Keep in mind all tires of the same tread width do not necessarily have the same section width.

Another way is to install a wheel with known backset and offset and use it as a reference.

Or better yet buy, rent or borrow a wheel/tire fitment tool
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 11:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I will have a set of Budnik Famosas for sale in the next couple of weeks if you might be interested. They are the perfect offset for our cars, fronts 17x8 4.75 bs and 17x9.5 5.5 bs and they clear C5 brakes.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 01:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
But if the wheel width won't fit, then it doesn't really matter what the backspacing or offset is.

+6mm wheel will give you the best chance of fitting on the front and rear as long as you don't have a narrowed rear end, or aftermarket brakes that change the track width.

+6mm will leave an equal amount of room inside and out for the tire/wheel combo, regardless of wheel width. A +6mm 7" wheel will have 4.25" backspacing, a +6mm 8" wheel will have 4.75" bs, a +6mm 9" wheel will have 5.25" bs, etc. So the backspacing number changes as you change width, but the +6mm offset is a constant.

If it's easier for people to work with backspacing, that's fine. But if you know the necessary offset, it will apply to any wheel width that will fit under your car.
And I'm not arguing that +6mm offset is what he will need, but he also needs to know what widths will fit under that car. He wants a deep dish rear wheel. I don't want him thinking he can go buy a 17x12 wheel with +6mm offset and think it would fit. That's all.

The best thing to do, as mentioned earlier, is go to the sticky and look at what wheel/tire combos fit and go from there.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 01:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
I will have a set of Budnik Famosas for sale in the next couple of weeks if you might be interested. They are the perfect offset for our cars, fronts 17x8 4.75 bs and 17x9.5 5.5 bs and they clear C5 brakes.
That's the size I ran on my 67 and they fit great.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 01:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
With a straight edge on the wheel mounting surface you can measure to determine backspace required for clearance. Wheel off jack stand under axle tube.

Then find the tire section width to determine how much the tire will bulge out past the wheel.

Keep in mind all tires of the same tread width do not necessarily have the same section width.

Another way is to install a wheel with known backset and offset and use it as a reference.

Or better yet buy, rent or borrow a wheel/tire fitment tool
I am going to buy one of the tools when it comes time to put tires on the 68, since it will have a narrowed rear and be mini-tubbed.

Agree 100% with the second sentence. Most tire manufacturer websites will list the section widths for each tire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode