White Lettering on sidewalls ... or not? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 17, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage
White Lettering on sidewalls ... or not?

I'll be purchasing new tires for my 67 soon and am interested in what the general consensus is on this.

The old outdated cracking tires I currently have on the car are not lettered. Though I have generally always liked the lettering on the tires of these old pony and muscle cars.

Here is a portion of my situation: The tires I currently have on the car seem very small in diameter (205/70R15) on vintage style Torque Thrust D wheels. I'd like to go with taller tires.

I did convert the car to 4 wheel disc brakes with a kit using something like a 72 Monte Carlo front caliper set-up ... Point being this is not a stock factory wheel set-up, so some of this is a crap shoot on where things are centered in the wheel well. I will add that I have no desire to change any of that. The big deal here is to not have front tires rubbing on the fender lip or hitting the bolts inside the lip.

SOOO, to get taller tires and white lettering I have to stop at 70 series tires and I'm afraid taller 70 series will be too wide for my pleasure. I can go taller with 75 series tires, but there are none with the white lettering.

Part of the criteria is I will be purchasing 5 tires, all the same size so there is no confusion on rotation or what fits where on the car.

Looking at this:

Current is 205/70R15 = 26.3 X 8.1

Possibilities are:

215/70R15 = 26.9 X 8.5 <--- a bit taller but wider and can have lettering.
215/75R15 = 27.7 X 8.5 <--- much taller and also wider
205/75R15 = 27.1 X 8.1 <--- somewhat taller but same width as current .

I know I just tossed a lot of Jello at the wall, but keep in mind the first question is: What does the group here generally think of white lettering? Yay or Nay?

I need to add this: It's a manual steering car, so wide tires on the front are not necessarily my friend either.

I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 17, 07:36 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage
Re: White Lettering on sidewalls ... or not?

I like the white letter look, but I am not sure it would look right on a cream colored Camaro. I assume you are still going with that color.

Just my 2 cents. Either way, I can't wait to see it when it is done.

Mike.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 17, 07:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

My personal preference is white lettering. I like the look of the BF Goodrich Radial T/A.
arocars and 68Tiger like this.

'68 RS

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 17, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dad's 67 View Post
I like the white letter look, but I am not sure it would look right on a cream colored Camaro. I assume you are still going with that color.

Just my 2 cents. Either way, I can't wait to see it when it is done.

Mike.
Yes, Capri Cream it is. All painted from the windshield back. I guess I should post a PIC.

Front fenders and hood still red.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 17, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminC View Post
My personal preference is white lettering. I like the look of the BF Goodrich Radial T/A.

You and I see this through the same lens.

I do realize that I have a few more things to take into account though.

Thanks to the both of you for the input.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 05:21 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

I'm old school so I vote for the white lettering. I went with the 215/70R15 BFG's. They look good with any color.

Rarerat, buenymayor and 68Tiger like this.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 05:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I used to run BFG white lettered T/A's on my '69; staggerd fit 225/60/15 and 255/60/15 without rubbing. I know you said you wanted them all the same size so have you considered going to a wider 60 series to maintain the overall diameter you want and getting more width? I think you can find a 60 series BFG that will work very well.
arocars likes this.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepsinshed View Post
I'm old school so I vote for the white lettering. I went with the 215/70R15 BFG's. They look good with any color.

You have what would be one of my choices, it's just marginally bigger in diameter, but would give me the white lettering.

Discount Tire will mount it up and put it on the car for evaluation of fit. I'm pretty sure it will come to a trial and error *try'em on for size* session.

I just don't know what my front brake conversion has done to my placement in the wheel well.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 07:08 AM
Tech Team
Robby

If using 15" wheels, go with white lettering! Bigger wheel diameters with shorter sidewalls go black. FWIW, I have 15's and white letters
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
I used to run BFG white lettered T/A's on my '69; staggerd fit 225/60/15 and 255/60/15 without rubbing. I know you said you wanted them all the same size so have you considered going to a wider 60 series to maintain the overall diameter you want and getting more width? I think you can find a 60 series BFG that will work very well.
The 225/60R15 is considerably smaller in diameter than my current set-up 225/60R15 = 25.6 X 8.9

To achieve my goal of larger diameter in a 60 series I'd need a 255/60R15 = 27.0 X 10.0. That extra 2" of width would pretty much assure me a problem at that diameter.

60s are just a lower profile tire than the 70s or 75s. I'm afraid that width would also make the manual steering more difficult.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage

Thanks guys. I cans see from the responses that my affinity for the raised white lettering is pretty much normal.

I think I will be pushing hard for the largest 70 series tire I can fit, I do really like the T/A radials.

I realize there are some options for flat head bolts inside that front fender lip which would help me fit more tire than the customary hex heads allow.

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbys67rs View Post
If using 15" wheels, go with white lettering! Bigger wheel diameters with shorter sidewalls go black. FWIW, I have 15's and white letters
That is my gut feeling as well. My car is not an obvious *modernized* version of a Camaro, it's certainly not concourse correct, but it is quite era correct.

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

OE sidewall detail for a '67 is red line, but, white lettering looks nice, as shown.
Yes, wider tire is harder to turn with manual steering, so a smaller width is better, less friction/scuffing.
Keep caster to a minimum and always have Camaro rolling while turning, always helps.
SAI (Steering Axis Inclination) is important as it places the pivot point in the middle of the tread - backspacing comes into play.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
OE sidewall detail for a '67 is red line, but, white lettering looks nice, as shown.
Yes, wider tire is harder to turn with manual steering, so a smaller width is better, less friction/scuffing.
Keep caster to a minimum and always have Camaro rolling while turning, always helps.
SAI (Steering Axis Inclination) is important as it places the pivot point in the middle of the tread - backspacing comes into play.
I had considered the red line. I noticed though, they seem incredibly expensive ... in comparison the BFG T/As.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Yes they are, vendors like them.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode