What Brand/Model 17" road tire are you running? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 17, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
What Brand/Model 17" road tire are you running?

I am about to make the move up to 17" rims. So I'm curious what brand/model 17" tires others are running on their cars. But first I will note that I live in the Northeast, and my car is a fair-weather 3-season ride. So after doing some research and looking back on other performance cars I've owned... I'm probably going to go with a Summer tire rather than an All-Season tire. I never intentionally drive the car in the rain, it's never seen snow, salt, or slush. The only Winter "driving" would be the occasional gorgeous sunny day drive to get things spinning and moving. For the most part, the car is "stored" from Thanksgiving to Easter.

As far as sizes go, the fronts wheels are going to be 17x8 4.75bs and the rears are 17x9.5 5.5bs, which is supposedly perfect for a 67-69 Chevy Camaro/Pontiac Firebird with basically stock suspension. Right now, my front suspension has 2" Hotchkis springs, Helix upper/lower control arms, ProForged BJs, ProForged tie rods, ends, etc. and Helwig 1.125" sway bar. The rear is still original monoleaf, but that'll probably get a mild upgrade to a Ford 9" and multileafs next year.

Tire size-wise, I'm thinking 245/45-17 up front and 275/40-17 tires on the rears as those are sizes that some other folks over in pro-touring have used on similar cars with similar suspensions without rubbing.

So... I'm curious about guys running somewhat similar sized wheels and what their experience has been with various tires. I drive maybe 2500-3000 miles a year max, most of it between May and September. I don't autocross so those kinds of "street/track" tires are not going on my list. I'd be more interested in a quiet, grippy (dry) tire, and less concerned about wear. I'm hoping I get some good feedback, and maybe others will be interested as well.

So what brand/model 17" are you running and why? Please include your wheel info as well.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and opinions.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 17, 07:46 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: What Brand/Model 17" road tire are you running?

I have had Nitto 555 tires on my '69 ragtop for many, many years and maybe 30k miles and have been very happy. Not too high dollar, perform well and last if you can resist doing burnouts. I believe Nitto has upgraded the 555 a while back too...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 17, 07:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Hey Mike,
I'm running Nitto 555 tires in the sizes you mention you're interested in mounted on Vintage Wheel Works V45 wheels. I've bought 3 sets of Nittos of various types for our daily driver cars and have been extremely happy with them. I would have bought a set of the Nitto Invo's for the Camaro, but they were not made in the size I wanted. I had a set of the Invos on my daily driver and they were fantastic.

I'd take a look at the Falken Azenis RT615K too. They are a softer compound, but very popular with the PT group I think. If you don't want or need tires that last forever, they might be a good bet. I'm going to look at them when it's time to replace my tires.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes

Last edited by ctcz28; Oct 23rd, 17 at 08:13 PM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 17, 12:00 AM
Senior Tech
Hakan

Garage

Hi,
I have Hotchkis Sport Leaf in the rear and sport springs in the front and the car is lovered like 2" all around.
Running on steel wheel most of the time but also have a modern set up with a classic touch with this setup, wheels and tires:

- American Racing 200S in front, 17 x 8", BS 4,75" with Kuhmo Ecsta 225/50-17
- American Racing 200S in rear, 17 x 9,5", BS 5,75" with Kuhmo Ecsta 255/50-17

almano likes this.

1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 17, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Good feedback! Keep it coming! Dennis & Chris... Nitto made a big name for themself in drag radials, and their street tires have been gaining popularity. The 555 series has two street versions now the 555 Extreme and the 555 G2. Don't know which is the newer version so I'm going to look into reviews.

Chris... The Falkens ARE very popular with the PT guys bc they're a better autocross tire than a street tire LOL. I think those would not be on the top of my list.

Hakan... Which model Ecsta are you running? Curious about dry grip and road noise. Seems like I'm always finding roads with noisy expansion joints. Some tires slap those joints, others seem to absorb them a little better. Nice looking car!

Goodyear has the G Force Comp 2 which was a possible top choice, but they got some competition from Firestone with their IndyHawk 500 and of course... the Nittos. More reviews to read LOL. But keep the feedback coming.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 17, 01:34 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

It use to be 555 and 555R (drag radials) then they added the 555 G2 Mike. And now it looks like they have 3 versions of drag and even more aggressive street car tires like the 05
57vette likes this.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 17, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

My only experience with Nittos has been their drag radials on the super high torque Lightning trucks. The Nittos and ET streets were the de facto standard if you were inclined to mash the pedal and apply 600-700 RWTQ to the pavement. Nothing better when you're making big horsepower on the street.

Hot Rod magazine did one test with 555's and they didn't make the cut, not even getting into the top 10. Think Michelin Pilot Sports finished 1st. Some of these tire tests also only feature tires that tire rack sells... maybe bc the reviews are based on using tire racks test track?

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 17, 01:11 AM
Senior Tech
Hakan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57vette View Post
Good feedback! Keep it coming!
Hakan... Which model Ecsta are you running? Curious about dry grip and road noise. Seems like I'm always finding roads with noisy expansion joints. Some tires slap those joints, others seem to absorb them a little better. Nice looking car!
Thanks!

The Kuhmo Ecsta is the SPT-model i guess...?
Bought the special made wheels and the tires from Newstalgia Weels, extremely customer friendly company!

1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 17, 04:34 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Call me too old school, buy American when we can. I run BFG sport and RWL on my collection and Goodyear on my 3 new cars. My lower 69, BFG sport 255/45/17 and 235/45/17 on Foose 8.5 Knuckle all around with no issues and looks have been very complimentary.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 17, 04:45 AM
John

Garage

Hakan is in Sweden
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 17, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgger69 View Post
Thanks!

The Kuhmo Ecsta is the SPT-model i guess...?
Bought the special made wheels and the tires from Newstalgia Weels, extremely customer friendly company!
Knowing you're over in Sweden, I was wondering if you had a different (?) Euro-Spec model, that's why I asked. Always found it fascinating how many different brands/models of cars we Americans never see over here. Over the years I've driven in the UK, Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland & Holland... but never in Sweden. Pretty decent highways for sure, but damp cobblestones in smaller towns were always challenging LOL.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 17, 06:27 AM
Team Member
Don

Keep an eye on the tread wear rating. I like to run around 300. Too soft around 200 and they pick up and throw stones causing a lot of paint chips. Too hard above 400 and they donít grip.

Don
DjD and 57vette like this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 17, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Keep an eye on the tread wear rating. I like to run around 300. Too soft around 200 and they pick up and throw stones causing a lot of paint chips. Too hard above 400 and they donít grip.

Don
That's a good point Don. Life is full of compromises, and we'd all like the stickiness off track tires, the wear of all seasons, and the grip of rain tires. I've learned to be flexible so there's no telling what tires I'll wind up with just yet, but I guarantee there'll be some compromises made!

Your 300 number is a good one. I wish they had ratings for road noise as well. Years back I had Continentals on a Mercedes SUV and they were so slap-happy they drove me nuts. Replaced with Mercedes spec Michelin Pilots and the difference was Night and day. Ironically, my Audi A3 Quattro S-Line has 18" Contis and they are very grippy, not noisy. I won't ignore Continentals.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 17, 07:04 AM
Senior Tech
Hakan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57vette View Post
Knowing you're over in Sweden, I was wondering if you had a different (?) Euro-Spec model, that's why I asked. Always found it fascinating how many different brands/models of cars we Americans never see over here. Over the years I've driven in the UK, Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland & Holland... but never in Sweden. Pretty decent highways for sure, but damp cobblestones in smaller towns were always challenging LOL.
As I said, wheels and tires bought from Newstalgia Wheels....in USA!

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 17, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Based on feedback I'm getting here and elsewhere, a few of the top contenders are the Continental Extreme Contacts, the Firestone FireHawk Indy 500's, and BFG Sport Comp 2.

My daily driver Audi A3 has Conti's pro contact and I have no complaints although it's Quattro pocket rocket with the sport suspension. But I know the Camaro will never handle like that LOL.

I'm liking all the positive reviews on the Firehawks. Many have bought again bc they were so pleased.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode