If this has been answered before I apologize but... - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 17, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage
If this has been answered before I apologize but...

I'm getting ready to put rear tires on my Christmas list and I'd like to know the tallest tire that will fit a stock mono leaf suspension with 1" lowering blocks. I've been looking through the archives for something close to this question which there were many but none that seemed to really actually answer the question that I'm asking. I was also looking for pics that would show a tire that maxes out the wheel well without hitting anything.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hoo-17601
I'm looking at these but not sure if they are too tall/just right/or could go taller.
I'm running 3.90's in the rear with a 2.56 first gear wide ratio Muncie and a BBC with plenty of torque.
What I have now are old M/T's that are 25 plus years along and have cracked side walls. I believe these are 26 1/2" or so. I'd really like to see some pics if anyone has any so I can really get a good idea of what I'm looking at on the car.
Also looking at these:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hoo-17130
Thanks guys, Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2171.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	194818  

No School Like The Old School!
67 RS 4 Speed with Big Block conversion
12 bolt with Richmond 3.90's

Last edited by 4Speed67CamaroRS; Oct 27th, 17 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 17, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage
Re: If this has been answered before I apologize but...

Okay, let me ask this...
Quicktime pro's
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hoo-17601
or Quicktime D.O.T.'s
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hoo-17130

I'm thinking 28" is probably the tallest tire that fits comfortably. If anyone has experience in this department please chime in.
Thanks, Jim

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 17, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If me, I would choose DOT's because a harder tire than Pro's.
Unfortunately, treadwear rating is not shown, UHP tires usually have a rating of 180, meaning you can imprint your thumb nail and come back later and imprint is still present.
As far as diameter, measure what is on the axle and go from there in the next set.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 17, 02:56 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Looking at what is on there right now, you only have about 2" clearance before the the tire hits the the outer fender lip. I'm not sure you can go much bigger than you already have unless you change wheels and get the tires to tuck under the outer fender lip. You may get more help if you post the wheel width and backspace.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 17, 04:28 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dad's 67 View Post
Looking at what is on there right now, you only have about 2" clearance before the the tire hits the the outer fender lip. I'm not sure you can go much bigger than you already have unless you change wheels and get the tires to tuck under the outer fender lip. You may get more help if you post the wheel width and backspace.
I agree...due to the off-set of your wheels, a 28" isn't gonna work.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 17, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dad's 67 View Post
Those pictured measure 27" actually so I'm thinking a 28" would only eat up another 1/2" of clearance or so. It won't be much of a freeway car but there may be times where I need to travel them periodically so I was hoping to shave a couple hundred rpm off @ 60 mph.
As far as back spacing on the rims, I'd love to have more than 4 1/2" but these Centerlines only come with this depth or should I say, these are the deepest they come and frankly I'm old school and I'm in love with the old school look. The wheels are 8.5" with 4.5 bs. On a side note, I was just looking at the Centerline website to confirm this back spacing and apparently on 8/22/17 Centerline closed its doors after 40 years and another company bought it and doesn't offer the old school Autodrag wheel anymore.
I wonder if a 10" rim will somehow fit even better if it had an overall deeper bs than the 8.5" rim has and actually brought the outside part of the rim in even farther...? I'll haver to look at that.
Thanks, Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode