Cragar vs. Torq Thrust - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 17, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

Cragar vs. Torq Thrust

My '67 RS is nearing completion (after 3 years) and looking at wheels/tires. I am interested in either Cragar SS or Torq Thrust D as I like the more "old school" look. Interested in any comments on how you think these wheels look on first gens or on quality issues between Cragar and American Racing. Obviously, I would also welcome any notice from members who might have a set to sell. Tire and wheel combos are fine. Need something in the 15 x 7 size with 3.5 - 4" BS. I am in Virginia so probably need someone within about 150 miles of DC as shipping would get pretty costly. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 17, 04:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: Cragar vs. Torq Thrust

Either one gives you the "old school" look. Both look great on first gen's, IMO.
I believe that Cragars are steel (heavier) and AR Torq Thrusts are aluminum (lighter) if that makes a difference to you. I can't comment on their quality.

I'm running Vintage Wheel Works V45's which look like the AR TTD's and the quality is top notch.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 17, 04:53 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Think about a 17" version of what ever wheel you decide on. 15" tires sizes are becoming limited and getting expensive. As well with 17" wheels you will get better handling, better speed rating and lots of selection. A 17" 45 series tire gives a decent sidewall and you can find 50 series if a little more sidewall suits you. I fairly sure both the wheels you are looking at are available in 17" sizes...
ctcz28 likes this.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 17, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

American Racing TT D's do not look like vintage TT wheels, American Racing Original Vintage do. I have real original TTs from on my car, not reproductions. Most people today do not know what was around back then, and think D's are authentic. Depending on how your car is built, 17 inch rims may not look correct. I for one do not like huge rims on a stock looking car. That is not the old school look. Very simple, go to American Racing to view the choices.
Everett#2390, 3d cad and Nikke like this.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Sauron67MM; Dec 27th, 17 at 05:04 PM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 17, 05:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

I like both wheels also but went with US Mags U104. I thought it looked a little sharper than the Cragers and is a lot shinier than the Cragars too. I already have the Torq Thrusts on another vehicle.
I hate to say it but one of the determining factors on the Cragars is that I have seen the chrome job on them deteriorate pretty quick as in rust spots and flaking on two sets of friends' wheels.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 17, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

No better old school look than the 15" torq thrusts but, they are both (tt & ttd) limited in backspace options if your car is lowered.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

black/black
no radio
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 17, 06:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I agree with Dennis, take a look at 17". They don't have the "large wheel" look like larger sizes (nothing wrong with that, just personal taste) and as Dennis points out more tire choices. Regardless of what wheel diameter you ultimately decide on, take a look at the old school wheel styles offered by Vintage Wheel Works. VWW offers both one piece and two piece wheels with many offset options.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good choice of wheels,

Old school look when I was in HS,
At my time/place, regardless of car manf & model,
BB's got Torq-Thrust's,
SB's got Cragar chrome spokes,
and L6's got chrome reverse steelies.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 05:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Think about a 17" version of what ever wheel you decide on. 15" tires sizes are becoming limited and getting expensive. As well with 17" wheels you will get better handling, better speed rating and lots of selection. A 17" 45 series tire gives a decent sidewall and you can find 50 series if a little more sidewall suits you. I fairly sure both the wheels you are looking at are available in 17" sizes...
17" TT M's anthrocite:

I really liked the way they looked and they made the car handle FAR better than stock because there was a lot less sidewall flex.

That's my vote. Enough old school to look good, enough new school to be practical without being over the top. The anthrocite finish isn't too bling either unlike all chrome or polished wheels. Toned down enough to not detract from the asthetics of the car.

I looked at wheels for 2 years before settling on these. Didn't want to go with them because everyone else has something similar but there just isn't a better look for the car in my opinion. Really glad I went with 17" too. Tires were 225/45 and 255/40. Don't recall backspacing or widths but there's not many choices. Luckily you don't need many.
Yellow69RSZ likes this.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech
Travis

Take a look at vintage wheel works V40 or v45s. They make a much nicer "Torque Thrust" than American Racing ever did IMO.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 05:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I agree with Scott. If you are one of us seasoned members the TTs you see in your minds eye are the originals, not the Ds although i think the design changed around 1970 somewhere. I never had TTs back then. Cragars or Fenton Hustlers. The place i got shod didnt handle them.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 06:16 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

agree on the 17" handles better and ride is no different than 15 "
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 06:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Back in the '60's I was running Mickey Thompson's on a couple of my Corvettes (my 57 and my 64). Aluminum centers with chrome hoops. That was pretty trick in the Northeast NJ/NY/LI area at that time.

Poor example... my centers were polished and needed some upkeep LOL. A lot of guys had Cragars, but they seemed to pit/rust quicker than any other wheel. Back then... we drove our cars in the Winter on salted roads... nobody (in my crowd) had a "beater" for the bad weather.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 06:38 AM
Team Member
Darin

When I purchased my car it had Torque Thrust, I think every first gen Camaro had TT on it at some point.

If you go to a car show this Spring you should see a dozen Camaros with TT, you should be able to see what size you like best,and ask the owner what offsets he's using..

I think the US mag Ramblers are the new TT of the decade.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 17, 06:59 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Well this is only all opinions anyway so.... I have the Cragar SS wheels. I would only go 17's if the new brakes meant I had too. I think 17's with small brakes look funny, again opinion. I have had my Cragars for a million years and the chrome is just fine but I don't drive it on salty roadsand I wash and wax them. They are steel but with a big block and gobs of power who cares about a few extra pounds, as far as handling it's no Vette but handles well for a 1967 car. . As far as finding 15" tires I like the 275-60-15 drag radials but hooking up is important to me. At shows us old farts take one look at the Cragars and say "yup nothing like the look of Cragars and fat rubber on a first gen".
Bottom line is it's your car!!!!! Get what YOU like!
3d cad, 68Tiger and 57vette like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode